Bird on the elephants back

(Y/n) POV

Fear was settled in my body as I stood beside the man that claimed to be my boyfriend. If I spoke out of turn, disobeyed, denied him as my boyfriend, or threatened to leave, he would beat me until I apologized or managed to hide away from him.

I wanted so badly to run, but I had nowhere to go. The taste of fear splayed across my tongue as I felt my hands become clammy. I couldn't sit still anymore. He was talking to his friends in a bar, I refused to sit, so I leaned against the bar table praying for someone to help me.

'I need to help myself before anyone can do that.' I thought to myself as someone sat beside me. I flinched a bit, but somehow felt safe around him. His green hair gave me an impulsive thought of wanting to touch it to see if it held the same texture as moss. I snapped myself out of that, and tried taking a step back.

"Where are you goin'?" Kibuya asked as he turned to me with the eyes of a devil. He was ready to beat me, and I knew that.

"Let the lady do what she needs to do. She's not bothering anyone." The man with green hair said.

"That's my girlfriend!" Kibuya growled

"Easy.." The man said as he grabbed something on his hip that clinked softly, Kibuya and I both looked down to see 3 swords.

"We're leaving." Kibuya stated with no emotion in his face. I felt my heart sink knowing exactly what was in store for me when we got home.

"No, I don't want to yet." I said softly

"I have work to do." He stated sternly as his gave me his demonic glare that told me I was going to have bruises later.

"Can't I stay here then? When you're done, I'll be here." I tried to compromise

"No." He stated with a growl as he grabbed my wrist tightly making me wince. My knees locked as he pulled me along, breaking the locks. My face went pale, which seemed to catch the moss head's eye.

'Prove your worth.. Show you have guts... What if he doesn't help me though?.. No.. He seemed to be on my side before, why would he switch?' I thought to myself before we got outside. I threw my arms down, forcefully releasing his grip from my arm. Kibuya immediately turned glare at me, then immediately turned, kicking me in the stomach making me fly back into the counter of the bar beside the man with 3 swords. I groaned in pain as he stood up, unsheathing one of his swords and attacked Kibuya for treating me the way he did.

I felt a sense of relief as he came back and sat back down calmly after he put his sword away, then patted the spot beside him "sit with me." The man said. I did as asked of me, this time it was because I wanted to. "The name's Roronoa Zoro. What's yours?" He introduced himself casual

"Zoro!!!" Everyone in the bar freaked out as they got as far away from him as possible, making me smile at the attention he got.

"I take it you're a pirate... My name's (y/n)." I said softly.

"I am. Strawhat pirate, actually. I could ask my captain to allow you on if you'd like.. Do you have anything you're really good at?" He asked

"I work at the blacksmith, so I can make weapons and molds for new weapons, if that helps. Otherwise, I know how to make some pretty hard liquor." I said calmly

"How good are you in combat?" He asked

"Not that great, but I'm always willing to learn." I said calmly

"Well then, I'll see what I can do for you." He said with a smile.

"Can I follow you to your ship?" I questioned