Chapter 8

My face felt tight. So tight, I feel like it might crack if I scrunch it up even a little bit. The dried tears on my face was living proof of my torment.

My chest felt heavy. My head hurts,  everything hurts. Even the fingers that were tightly gripping the gun hurts. The very fingers that are pointing the gun at him.

The man behind all my torment. My fucking suffering.

"Let go of the gun Dandelion." His voice was gentle. Why doesn't he ever speak to me in that soothing voice?

I shake my head, and a look of confusion crosses his face.

I found him in his office when I returned from the store. After a failed attempt in getting food and shamelessly walking out with nothing but a sad look on the two people I wanted to help today, I was left fuming. And hungry. I was starving. Something was pricking at me, deep in my stomach. It had me thinking if my organs were feeding on themselves.

It took a few deep breaths to steady myself. I wasn't letting go of this gun until a bullet was planted deep into his chest or his head. I wasn't sure. Fuck, I'm so indecisive. But either way, he's dying.

He took a step away from the table, that was the only thing separating the two of us.

I swallow hard. Why does he have to look so damn intimidating. He was more muscle that anything. He was build like a brick and felt like one too.

He grounded his teeth together, still maintaining eye contact with me. I wasn't good at that. The whole eye contact thing. I wanted to look away. But I couldn't or he'll reach for the gun the minute I do.

My pulse painfully throbbed in my temple, he looked so scary. If he wanted to cast for a scary movie, he just had to look that and the role is his.

It didn't look like he was going to take a step any further which I was grateful for, I needed him away from me so I could think rationally. "Give me the gun." His tone wasn't gentle. He said it with so much ferocity, I nearly obeyed him. I nearly gave in.

"No." My voice was a mere wisper. I'm not sure if he heard it because I too didn't quite catch it. But he did, he heard how small my voice was. He saw the stray tear that rolled down my cheek. He's seeing how my whole frame is skaking. He sees me cracking.

My adrenaline spiked because he just didn't seem to get it.

I fired.

Not at him but at the bottle of wisky that was stationed on his table. It shattered into thousands of pieces. Just as he did to my heart.

His scary demeanor was soon replaced with a look of shock.

Yes, you son of a god damn bitch, I did that and I'll do it again.

My dad worked in the army his entire life. He ought to have taught his daughter. My aim wasn't as good as his but it got the job done.

I think.

Now that I had his full attention I released the load that made my chest hurt.

"For years, I countlessly made excuses for your fucking actions towards me. You took me away from my family. You promised to love me, forever." The silence was making me ears ring. But I had to continue, I needed to let all the anguish out of me today. It all ends today. "Not once have you defended me from those vile women. They continue to make my life miserably difficult and you're aware of that. But you choose to do nothing. And now, you're taking away the one thing that I have have tirelessly worked for. That's my home. You want me home? No a fucking chance. I have a career and I'm not stopping for anyone. Not even you. Husband." I bit out his name. It left a sour taste on my tongue.