Part 2, Chapter 11 - Twilight

It was Saturday. Bella had told Rose she was going to go hiking with Edward and when Rose finally stopped laughing at her, she shared her own plans. She was going to be going over to the Clearwater's to be with Leah. Charlie had to work that day, the precinct being busy with the animal attacks. Apparently, Charlie's friend Wayland was missing.

Rose knew her dad loved Wayland. Wayland owes known to accompany them on their Sunday diner lunches from time to time. He had only gotten to meet Bella a handful of times.

The twins went their separate ways after Rose made Bella promise she would be careful. After all, Bella now knew what the Cullens were and was constantly exposing herself to Edward. Bella had made Rose stop worrying so much after Rose would insist on her accompanying them to keep Bella safe.

Rose drove down to the Res and stopped by the gas station to get some candy for her and Leah. She saw old man Quil and briefly said hello to him before setting off again. Upon pulling into the Clearwater drive she noticed how empty the driveway was.

She walked up to the front door where Leah opened the door before she could even knock.

"Come on in. The rest of the family went hunting. I didn't really feel like it."

So Rose walked in and the two girls sat on the couch. Rose quickly put all the goodies she had brought into the table where Leah grabbed the baggy of sour patch kids.

"Okay Leah. Tell me everything."
Leah took a deep breath and her shoulders seemed to slouch forward.

"You know how Sam and I had been dating since freshman year?"

Rose nodded. Nearly everyone knew about the two.

"Well we were meant to be married about three months ago. Everything was going fine. Perfect even. I had my dress and my cousin Emily was going to be my bridesmaid."

Leah scoffed and a tear fell out of her eye. Rose remembered the almost wedding. She had been invited and she was going to be going with her dad when the wedding was called off. This was before Bella had come to Forks.

"About two weeks before the wedding Sam got sick. I couldn't even see him. Billy Black and my dad were the only ones who got to help him. He wouldn't talk to me for three days. When he got better he seemed different. He wouldn't tell me what was wrong and next thing I know he's calling the wedding off. I didn't get to know why until I found him talking to my cousin Emily. We grew up together and I loved her."

Leah paused a moment and walked to the kitchen. Rose sat silent in her seat feeling nothing but empathy for Leah. Rose couldn't help but imagine what would happen if it was Paul and Jared with her.

When Leah returned, she brought two glasses of water for the two of them. Rose thanked her and waited for Leah to continue.

"Same was just acting very distant. He wouldn't talk to me and he was avoiding everyone. Everyone except my cousin. The two were together everywhere and that's when we found out, on what was supposed to be the day we left for our honeymoon that the two were dating. She got attacked by some bear and he was right by her side in the hospital room. I think the worst part of it all, is that my parents don't even care that he was mine. That we were going to be married. They support Sam and Emily being together and I'm being almost shunned for still feeling terrible."

Leah was crying now so Rose wrapped her up in her arms. Leah latched her arms around Rose's waist and openly sobbed onto her shoulder. Rose shushed her and was petting her head as Leah quieted down.