Chapter 28- reunion

You awoke to the pungent smell of hospital disinfectant. Slowly you opened your eyes, squinting in attempt to sharpen the blurred images before you.

Yep, you were definitely in a hospital. How long had you been here?

You closed your eyes, trying to remember what happened before it suddenly hit you.

Vecna. Billy getting arrested. Shit.

You opened your eyes again, looking down to find your left arm in a thick white cast all the way to your elbow and secured in a sling. Right, broken arm. How could you forget about that?

The ceiling above you was illuminated with a white fluorescent light that had no right to be as bright as it was. The rest of the room was empty. You were literally in your own hospital room and there was no way you could afford this.

Suddenly, the door across the room opened and you had to do a double take when Billy Hargrove stepped inside. Didn't he get arrested?

Billy closed the door quietly behind himself, not wanting to wake you. He took a sip of the shitty hospital coffee cup in his hand before he turned and then quite literally dropped the coffee when he saw you staring right back at him.

The brown takeaway cup fell to the ground. The plastic lid popping off on impact, spilling the dark liquid over the floor.

The bruise over his eye had gotten worse since you last saw him. The red and light bruising from earlier now an angry dark purple while his split lip still looked just as painful.

"Are you okay?" He asked, rushing to your bedside, the coffee long forgotten. "Are you in pain? I can get a nurse or-"

"I'm okay." You answered, your voice coming out rough as you cleared your throat before continuing. "How... how are you here? You were arrested and... how are you here?"

"Max's plan worked like a charm. Carver is being blamed for the deaths, so I walked free."

You dropped your head back down on the pillow with a sigh of relief.

"I can't believe it worked. All of it. It's over... wait, it is all over, right?" You asked, sudden fear rising.

"It's over, baby." Billy reassured as he gently sat down on the edge of your bed, his hand hovering over your broken arm. "Nurse said they had to do two surgeries to fix it."

"Could've been worse, at least it's just one arm."

"You also have a fractured patella."

"A fractured what now?" You asked in confusion.

"Knee cap. You fractured your knee cap." Billy explained, looking down at the black brace around your knee which you hadn't even noticed.

Oh, well that kind of sucked. But a broken arm and fractured knee was better than the alternative... that alternative being dead like Chrissy and Fred.

"I'm sorry."

Billy's voice was barely above a whisper and if it was any softer, you would have missed it.

"I'm so sorry. This is all my fault." He added, his voice breaking causing your head to snap back up to him in alarm.

He chewed his lower lip, eyes welling up with tears as he stared at the wall, refusing to look at you.

"This wasn't your fault." You insisted.

"It was. It was." His voice was heavy with shame, the same way his guilt weighed down upon his shoulders.

"This is on Vecna. None of this is your fault."

"It is. I should've stopped Jason sooner... If I did then maybe I could've pulled you out of the trance sooner and-"