Chapter 6- the junkyard

Trigger warning- *that* scene with Neil Hargrove plays out. So major child abuse warning.

-

"Shit. Shit. You can't be here." Billy hissed under his breath. "Get in the wardrobe. Neil can't see you."

He grabbed your arm and yanked you from the bed before you had a chance to say anything and pulled you across the room to his wardrobe.

"Just get in and stay quiet." Billy said, his voice leaving no room for arguing as you stepped inside and he hastily shifted some of his clothes around to cover you.

Out of nowhere, Neil suddenly slammed the bedroom door open and Billy only had just enough time to whip the wardrobe door closed, but it didn't shut fully. You shifted to the side slightly, trying to hide behind his jackets hanging from the rack, but not daring to reach for the door in fear that Neil would see.

You looked over at Neil taking in his tall figure and thick moustache. He looked like your stereotypical military man. Maybe he had been in the military in his early life, but you knew he was just a bank security guard now.

Billy subtly took a step to the side, blocking your view from Neil, but also blocking his father's view of you in the wardrobe in the process.

"We can't find Maxine." Susan suddenly said, appearing in the doorway.

"And her window's open." Neil added. "Where is she?"

Max had runaway? Shit, that was not going to end well for Billy.

"I don't know." Billy answered and you could tell he was trying to keep his voice strong, but you knew he was panicking.

"You don't know?" Neil repeated with a chuckle.

"Look, I'm sure she just went to the arcade or something. I'm sure she's fine."

He turned away and walked back to the wardrobe wanting to put some distance between him and his father and used the excuse of grabbing his jacket to close the wardrobe door properly. Billy's eyes flashed over at you for the briefest second before he shut the door completely.

"You were supposed to watch her." Neil said, following Billy further into the room.

You could still see through the small gap and watched silently as Billy pulled on his leather jacket taking a deep breath before he turned back to his father.

"I know, dad. I was and since you guys are three hours late and well, I have a date." Billy eventually said. "I'm sorry, okay?"

A date? The two of you were just going to go for a drive to get ice-cream, but you found yourself smiling at Billy calling it date. Was that what he wanted it to be? Did he want it to be a date? You weren't even sure what you and Billy were... you were friends, but something was different between the two of you after Tina's party.

"So that's why you've been staring at yourself in the mirror like some faggot, instead of watching your sister?"

Neil's words snapped you out of your thoughts real quick and you saw Billy flinch at his father's words and gritted his teeth angrily.

"I have been looking after her all week, dad. Okay, if she wants to run off then that's her problem, alright? She's 13 years old. She shouldn't need a full-time babysitter." He snapped, walking over to his stereo and turning it off. "And she's not my sister!"

Within a blink of an eye, Neil marched forward and grabbed him by the collar of his jacket before slamming Billy up against the wall.

Your heartrate skyrocketed as you watched on helplessly. Billy hissed in pain when his back collided with the wall. Neil's face was inches away from his own and Billy breathed heavily though his nose trying to remain calm.