Chapter 31

2018

It's just before midnight on a warm June night when the girl walks out of the hotel. She sits down on the steps and takes a deep breath. She's exhausted. It's been a long day, and she was up at 6am to start getting ready.

Her eyes well up with tears. But thankfully this time, they're happy tears. She swipes them away with a watery giggle.

"Hey." She turns her head to see the boy behind her. He's smiling quizzically, that sweet dimpled grin she fell for almost immediately all those years ago. "What are you doing out here?"

"I just needed some air," she replies, as he sits down beside her and curves an arm around her. She rests her head on his shoulder, and he drops a kiss on her hair.

"No regrets though?" He asks lightly.

"Never," Iona replies, snuggling in closer. "It was such a lovely day, Ryan."

He sighs happily into her curls. "It really was."

It's been nearly two and a half years since Iona and Ryan finally admitted their feelings for each other, and time seems to have flown by. The day after they became a couple, Alice visited the hotel with her baby and with one look at them she'd known straight away things had changed between them. "Finally you two crazy kids got your act together," she'd laughed.

Iona is fairly sure Alice is some sort of psychic witch.

Over the following weeks of their blossoming relationship, Iona and Ryan had spent many hours reminiscing about their shared past, as well as catching each other up on the history they'd not been involved in. And with every memory, and every anecdote, they got closer, their bond tighter.

After they'd been together for around six months, Ryan had nearly devastated Iona when he'd said to her one day "This isn't working out."

It turned out he'd completely worded that wrongly. (Idiot.) He meant them working together and being together was becoming an issue. Mainly because they were a huge distraction for one another and didn't get much work done if they were on shift together. On several occasions they'd nearly been caught during their hornier moments while on shift. They were just too intoxicated by each other, still determined to make up for all the years they'd lost.

Ryan had also reached the almost inevitable conclusion that he really didn't want to run the hotel anymore. It had been an escape for him many years ago but, as we know, he'd never wanted to follow in his father's footsteps. His heart had never properly been in it.

He'd offered Alice, who was still on maternity leave, first refusal of the role, of course. But Alice was happy to remain as assistant manager upon her return, and overjoyed for Iona to finally achieve her dream of running her own hotel. Ryan took on some freelance marketing gigs, and eventually started his own successful marketing company, based out of the office in the hotel.

And at some point, during a holiday to Greece a year or so into their relationship, Ryan had dropped down on one knee and asked Iona to marry him. She obviously said yes. She'd found the platinum ring set with a pretty amethyst stone in a drawer a few months before so she'd been expecting the proposal for some time. Ryan had just been waiting for the perfect moment and a pretty beach in Corfu at sunset had met his exacting requirements.

So, here we are. Outside the hotel where Iona and Ryan tied the knot just a few hours ago.

The wedding went off without a hitch. Thankfully it was nothing like that terrible dream Iona once had. There was no ex-wife. Martin wasn't invited. Iona's dress didn't magically disappear to leave her standing in her underwear while everyone pointed and laughed.

It was perfect.

Every person they loved was there with them. And their interfering match-making mothers were delighted that their meddling had finally paid off.

"We should go back in, I guess," Iona says eventually, slightly reluctantly. She could happily stay out here longer, with just Ryan for company. He's her favourite person in the whole world.

He nods, untangling himself from her. "Tell you what, let's give the people what they want for ten more minutes and then we'll make our excuses and go back to the honeymoon suite."

She smiles at the heat sparking in Ryan's vivid blue eyes. "I'd like that a lot," she replies, licking her lips slowly and watching as his gaze darkens. He leans in to kiss her and then stands, pulling her to her feet as well.

She's on the step above him, bringing her closer to his height, and she throws her arms around him, nuzzling into his neck. "I love you, Mr Thorne," she says. The words mean more to her than she would have ever thought possible.

"I love you too, Mrs Thorne," Ryan whispers contentedly against her cheek. "So much."

And, with one last kiss for now, they slip their arms around each other, and walk back inside.

---The End---

I'm gutted to close the book on Iona and Ryan

I'm gutted to close the book on Iona and Ryan . . . I got so invested in them as a couple and I really hope you did too!

I was a bit concerned about setting the story in a hotel as the closest I've ever came to working in hospitality was in a coffee shop while I was at uni - and I hated that. Hopefully it wasn't completely obvious that I've no idea how a hotel is ran. *facepalm*

The nineties flashbacks were probably my favourites to write . . . I finished high school in the late nineties so I drew on my own memories a lot for this, in particular the party. I love 90s music as well so enjoyed throwing in some throwbacks. What's YOUR favourite 90s track?

Of course I enjoyed writing any scene featuring both Iona and Ryan even more. The pillow fort chapters were my absolute favourites . . . But I also really did like the scene with the peel-off face mask. And the sex scene. And the prom scene. . . Och, I just loved writing the whole thing, okay??

Thanks to everyone who came along for the ride. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I've loved reading all the comments, and will continue to keep up-to-date with these. 💜

As always, feel free to share if you liked this story, and there are several other stories on my profile if you want to read more from me.

P.S. if you're interested in Ryan's side of the story, "No Reservations: Ryan's Version" is now also available. 😉