Chapter 26

1999

"Why did you let her have him?" Lily hissed as soon as I rejoined them at the table. I shrugged miserably.

"What was I meant to do, refuse to let her cut in? You know that's not my style." I took a massive gulp of my vodka and Coke. "Maybe I just need to accept the fact that I'm not meant to be with Ryan." The thought made me want to cry.

"You can't give up that easily," Claire urged. "You were determined you were going to tell him how you feel; you need to do it or you'll go mad wondering what could have been."

I watched Ryan dance with Christine. He looked perfectly content to be with her. And I had been right earlier when I'd pictured them together - they looked absolutely perfect for each other. I could feel tears welling up. I felt pathetic.

"Why don't you go and grab some fresh air?" Lily suggested to me. "I'll get us another drink and come and get you in a few minutes."

"And, in the meantime," Claire stood up, her face determined. "I've got some cutting-in to do of my own." She looked at me defiantly. "If you don't feel like you can do it, I'm going to do it for you." And with that she got up and marched towards the dancefloor.

My friends were the best.

I pulled myself to my feet and walked towards the exit, my brain foggy with doubts and my heart exhausted. My pretty purple sandals were pinching my feet and I felt like my hangover might be starting already.

It was a bit cooler outside which was a relief. I sat down at the top of the stairs and eased my shoes off, sighing in delight that my feet were finally free. I stared at my toenails, printed a pale lilac colour to compliment my whole ensemble, and took a deep breath.

"Alright, Iona?"

I glanced behind me to see Martin Douglas standing just outside the door. Great. I liked all of Ryan's friends apart from this one. He was just a nasty piece of work and gave me such bad vibes. I always tried to avoid being around him.

"Hey," I said unenthusiastically, trying not to recoil when he sat down beside me. Too close. Martin was a creep, although I'm pretty sure a harmless one.

He lit a cigarette and took a drag. "You want one?" He asked, extending the packet towards me.

"No thanks," I replied. "I don't smoke."

He shrugged, exhaling. I suppose at least he had the decency to blow the smoke away from me. "Your loss. So what you doing out here then? You moping because your date ditched you?"

"Excuse me?" I couldn't believe how direct and offensive he was being. Even by Martin standards it was pretty brutal.

"Well, I saw Ryan seemed pretty into Christine. He's mentioned a few times that he thinks she's hot. And didn't they kiss before?" He stuck the cigarette back between his lips.

"He thinks she's hot?" I asked faintly, unable to halt the question coming out of my mouth. Of course he did. She was stunning. And so very slim.

Martin could sense my weakness. "Obviously," he said, rolling his eyes. "She's the hottest girl in school."

Don't let him know he's getting to you.

I had to steel myself. "Good for him. It's not like I'm in to Ryan anyway, we're just friends. She's welcome to him."

There was an almost imperceptible moment when Martin glanced behind him. That smirk curled at his lips and caused me to look back too but I couldn't see what had caught his eye.