Chapter 12.

December 2011.

I wandered around the basement with nothing to do, Maia was at school and I had nothing to do without her. 

The basement never had anything exciting but neither did the rest of the house when she wasn't home. 

I then discovered a truck on the ground, a little metal truck that 5-year-olds play with in the mud or the dirt. 

I didn't know what I would do with it but it was a nice discovery. 

As I picked it up and inspected it, I heard someone crying from down the hallway. It sounded like a woman who was heartbroken, probably Nora. 

I walked into the dark room at then end of the hallway to see Nora sitting on a wooden table with her head in her hands crying hysterically. 

As I stood by the doorframe she looked up, she must not know who I am. 

"Who are you?" 

"It's me, Tate." I said as I held the little truck in my hands, "Life's too short for so much sorrow." 

"You're wrong." she croaked, her voice was rough and she sounded congested, "It's an eternity. Just endless days and nights of longing. Where's my baby?" 

I put the truck down carefully, I had an idea of what she could do to get her baby back, 

"That's what I want to talk to you about." 

"You...you promised me. You...you made one with her, the, the lady of the house." she pointed upstairs, she was referring to Vivien. 

"Vivien. That's Maia's mother. And I can't give you that baby anymore. Everything's changed, Nora. I'm in love with Maia." 

"I see." 

"I just can't take her brother away."

"But I can. And I will." she came towards me and caressed my face, "That baby is mine." 

I'm not letting this happen.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Dad, I'm not a dog. I told you, I don't feel well. Just leave me here." 

My dad gripped onto my arm and led me down the stairs with every intention of bringing me to get my mom. 

"I don't trust you anymore, and I don't trust Tate." 

"Tate? I haven't seen him in weeks." 

"No more, Maia. Your mom's coming home, and you're coming with me to get her. Violet's already in the car, now let's go." 

"Dad, please, I don't feel well." 

"You can lay down in the car. And when we get home, pack up your things. We're leaving this house for good." 

He held onto my arm and was dragging me to the car, I knew what would happen if I went with him which was why I was trying to convince him to let me stay. 

"What? You two are back together?" 

"I don't know yet. Your mom wants to go to Aunt Jo's to give birth, and I'm supporting it." 

"No, you don't want to do this." 

I stopped so I was standing face to face with him. He let go of my arm and put his hands above his head,