Chapter 10.

November 2011.

The next few days felt dark, cold. As if I was reliving everything that's happened in this house. 

I didn't like it. 

Sitting in my rocking chair in the corner of that basement felt..comforting. As if I was at peace with my thoughts. 

Until I heard someone coming down the stairs and a firm, agonizing voice that I dreaded called out to me. I got up from my chair and walked forward out into the hallway, but she kept calling out.

"Tate? Tate, honey, it's Mama. I have to talk to you. Tate?" she got to the end of the hallway where I stood and I voiced my annoyance towards her. 

"So talk." 

"Oh! Oh, God." she turned and put a hand on her heart as she looked at me, she put a hand on my chest as she pleaded to me. 

"Tell me it isn't true, what I've been hearing about you." 

"About what?", she had her hands on my face as she talked to me. I hadn't done anything, what could she have been hearing about? 

"Your behaviour. God, after all the missteps, we finally have somebody in this house that maybe can help you. 

Tell me you did not crawl on top of that man's wife." she was gripping onto the sides of my neck and her voice was very firm and loud. 

I felt tears in my eyes as she backed up and let go of my head, 

"Oh..." she seemed very disappointed. 

"Mama. Mama, you can't tell Maia, okay? Please, don't..." I sobbed as she started hitting and slapping me. 

"What is wrong with you, for God sakes? What's wrong with you?" she yelled at me as she hit and slapped me. 

"Mama!" I sobbed, I backed into a corner as she kept hitting me, I screamed but she kept going at me. 

"Don't you realize what you've done?" she slapped me as I cried out to her, the same as I had done when I was a little boy and she'd hit me every time I fucked something up. 

The screams of a little boy who just wanted love, not pain. 

________________________________________________________________________________

I had been out with Violet all day, we had went to this indoor pool thing that her and Leah had been going to ever since they became friends, then we walked around and talked for a bit. 

We were never really 'deep' with each other, but somehow those conversations really helped me get a good perspective on where she was coming from and her thought process with this whole ordeal. 

We got home and went to our rooms to change since we had planned to watch a movie, I went into my room to change but saw someone laying on my bed. 

I carefully walked towards it about to scream but stopped when I realized who it was, Tate lifted his head slightly to look at me with dried tears on his face and red marks all across his cheeks and neck. 

I set my bag down as he sat up and I hugged him, he pulled me onto his lap and hugged me so tight; the tightest he'd ever hugged me before, I didn't know what had happened but he knew I'd always be there for him. 

He cried lightly into my shoulder as I ran my hand through his hand and whispered positive things in his ear, I knew it wouldn't help but I wanted them to be acknowledged at least. 

He pulled his head up from my shoulder and his bloodshot eyes looked all over my face, I wiped my tears with my thumbs and kissed his lips lightly. 

"I love you, Tate." 

He smiled ever so slightly with one of his dimples showing and looking down, he looked like he felt guilty of something. He didn't have to tell me but I'd always listen if he did. 

"I love you, Maia." 

Just then there was a knock on my door and Violet entered, she stood in the doorway seeing Tate and I, me straddling him and his head back into the crook of my neck. 

"Uh, are we watching the movie or..." she stood awkwardly by the door, I got off of Tate and sat beside him. 

"Yeah, yeah." I got up from and went up to her, the plans were to watch a movie in my room but with the circumstances I didn't know if that would be a great idea. 

"We can watch it in the living room.." I said as she looked at me, ignoring the fact that Tate was an avid murderer, I think she liked him...maybe...I don't know. 

"No, no. Your boyfriend seems to be a cry baby over there so, how about you stay with him. I'll just be the third wheel." 

"Are you sure? He doesn't really say much when nobody's talking so there won't be any interruptions during the movie." 

She hated whenever people spoke during movies, it was just something that she never tolerated and if someone did, she just wouldn't respond. 

So, we all crawled into my bed and I gave the remote to Violet so she could pick the movie, or else it would take 900 years because 'I don't want that one', 'I've seen it so many times', 'that one's boring', 'your taste in movies is so bad', etc. 

The movie started playing once we agreed and Tate curled up against me, his arms around my waist and his head in my neck as he was on top of me. 

I rubbed his back and kissed his forehead every once in a while as I could tell he was falling asleep. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Being in her arms felt like home. 

I felt like if I was with her, nothing could hurt me. 

I was laying on her with my arms around her waist and my head in her neck; she was playing with my hair and rubbing my back lightly and sometimes I could feel her kisses on my head. 

She was the only one who made me feel loved, I had never felt that before; not even with my own family. 

My father had left, my mother had neglected me, even though she claims she's always been there for me, and I've never had anyone else to rely on. She was my only way out of this dark hole. 

Every time I felt sad or depressed, I went to her, I laid with her, I talked to her. Because everything about her is comforting, when I talk to her, I feel welcomed and accepted. 

She doesn't judge me for what I've been through or what I'm going through, she's always respected me and she's cared for me in a way that nobody else ever had. 

That's one of the reasons why I'm so in love with this girl.