Chapter 1.

September, 2011.

Moving day.

A day most people dreaded.

Having to leave the place they've called home for so long or leaving the place they've felt the safest.

It's a hard transition.

We were moving to Los Angeles, a place full of sun, high crime rate and mostly rotten or moldy food.....so I've heard.

My younger sister Violet was sat next to me, holding our family dog Hallie in her lap; she had always been anxious during car rides.

My dad was driving and my mom was in the passenger seat. Something you should know, I love my dad, but he's an asshole and because of his decisions, my parents marriage had been rocky. Especially following my dad's affair. They're trying to fix things so they had planned for us to move across California to "start fresh".

They hadn't told us this but we had heard Dad say it before we moved.

"The light is different out here. It's softer." my mom waved her hand around.

"It's called smog." Violet rolled her eyes, she was never very enthusiastic about anything. 

"You should be excited, Vi. You can stop smoking cigarettes and start taking deep breaths." my dad voiced, Violet had been in a bad group of friends before we left and she got into a habit of smoking cigarettes whenever she's stressed.

"I need to go to the bathroom." I said, I hadn't gone since we stopped at Chick-fil-A, it's not my fault.

"We're almost there."

"I need to go, Dad."

"It's a freeway, Maia. Really, where do you want me to pull over?" he chuckled, "Maybe the Honda next to us has a bathroom or something."

"Bet if Vi had to go you'd stop somewhere." I grumbled, I had always gotten the feeling she was the favourite.

"Really, Maia? You know that's not true." Mom gave me the look that said 'you know you're my favourite' and I scrunched my nose back.

"You know, I'm really glad we named you Maia instead of our second choice." my dad said from the front seat, that was a random thing to say?

"Which was?" Violet asked curious.

"Sunshine." my mom put her sunglasses back on and looked at the map she was holding in her hands.

"I could not picture you being named 'Sunshine'." Violet looked me up and down, I rolled my eyes as my dad chuckled and Violet mocked him.

"It's funny. Come on, you gotta admit it's funny." I saw my dad grab my mom's hand from the front seat. They were so cute, but I knew it wouldn't last a night.

The car was silent until we got to the house. We got out of the car and walked up the gravel path up to the front door. My dad rang the doorbell then voiced his unwanted thoughts "I love it. Don't you love it, hun?" 

"I mean, it looks even better than it did online." he wrapped an arm around my mom as she nodded while looking around.

"Yeah, it's-- it's interesting." she agreed, kinda.

"Great, so we're the Addams Family now?" Violet rolled her eyes as I took a good look at the house.

I personally liked the house. It was made out of brick with tons of windows and a big garden at the front, it was really like a haunted house.