Chapter 6.

Halloween 2011. 

Dr. Harmon drove us to a nearby Halloween festival that morning, he sat down at the table as I went to get our coffees. 

I paid and returned to see him smoking a cigarette, "Wow, there's so many different flavours." I said as I put the coffees on the table and sat down. "It's freaky. I don't know half of 'em." 

I looked around and saw a woman in a witch costume and a child with a yellow Frankenstein mask, "What did we say? No eating until we inspect them at home." we watched as they walked away. 

It was hard not having parents who cared. My mom cared to some extent, but not enough. Dad left so I don't really need to go further than that. 

I was watching all the kids play around, one girl in specific, a little witch. With light brown hair, almost blonde. She reminded me of Maia, but what didn't remind me of her?

I saw Dr. Harmon staring at her, almost in sadness. As if he missed his daughters being that age. "She reminds you of the girls, huh?" 

"Violet in particular. She had to be scary, my fierce little girl." he said with sadness, I could tell he missed her being that age. 

"What about Maia?" I asked, I didn't care about Violet. 

"Maia didn't really care for Halloween as much, she wanted to be whatever she was interested in at the time. She was, still is, very outspoken, always detail oriented, her costume had to be perfect. She's just like her mom. Doesn't need to follow anyone else. Smart and beautiful." 

I listened as he talked about her, "The thing is, I was a....I was a troubled kid too. I was kinda like you, Tate. I didn't hold out too much hope for myself. Not many other people did either. It was a total shock to everyone, including myself, when I became a doctor. But somehow I was given this amazing gift of family." he had tears in his eyes as he talked to me, I felt bad for him. 

I put my hand over his arm, "Hey, it's gonna be okay, Dr. Harmon." 

"I'm sorry. Oh, God." he sighed and put his head in his hands wiping the tears away, he sniffed, "I'm sorry, Tate." he apologized again. 

I really did feel bad for him, he was like me in a way. Troubled, lonely, scared to ask for help to make things right. I could tell he was stressed about a lot of things, but there's always a way to fix it, from what he's told me. 

________________________________________________________________________________

I was chillin' on my bed reading, I didn't know when I was supposed to go out with Tate so I was still in my pyjamas. 

I laid on my stomach reading until Violet came running into my room, "Maia! Maia!" she ran to my bed, "Some crazy guy is at the front door!" she yelled at me. 

"What?" I said trying to process what she said. 

"Come downstairs and see!" she yelled and grabbed my hand, this wasn't the smartest idea but I figured since Violet wanted me to come downstairs then she must have a plan or something...hopefully.

We got down the front steps and she held my arm, I stood there as I listened to this man yell for my dad, "I'm not leaving until I have my 1,000$!" he kicked the door. 

"Did you call Mom and Dad?"  

"Yeah." she nodded, her bottom lip was trembling. I was the older sister, I had to do something to protect her, I already knew this guy was a loon just by standing her for a second.