Chapter 06

He was not allowed to get up to go to the downstairs floor of the hospital where they would do the ultrasound scan. He was barely allowed to move to go to the bathroom once a day, anything else was forbidden for TK.

He was on edge, since the accident he hadn't seen the baby and in a way he was sure it was fine, he still couldn't feel the baby kicking or moving, but it was something primal, something that made him smile at the thought of the baby. But he needed to see it, to hear the doctor say that the baby was fine.

It had been stupid to risk his life going into that building, but he hadn't thought the day would end like this, falling from the second floor, almost breaking his knee and knocking his shoulder out of place.

It was a child and he thought it could be his child in the future and that someone would have to be there for him or her to save them as well. He thought of the child's parents, he imagined himself suffering.

Jumping with the offender was not in his plans and neither was ending up in a hospital bed for weeks. Carlos had not left his side, he had asked for a couple of days off to be with him and there was no way to get him out of the room except to go home to take a shower and change clothes. Everything else — eating, sleeping and taking a walk — he did there.

The night before the ultrasound, Carlos didn't sleep, he felt that if he closed his eyes anything could happen to TK or the baby. He watched him sleep and knew he was dreaming when he saw him smile. He was so curious to know what it was that made him feel so good that he promised himself to ask him when he woke up, if he remembered.

They carried the sonogram and everything up to the room, his doctor and two nurses quickly set everything up.

"How big is it now, Doctor?"

The doctor smiled as he turned on the computer screen.

"We should be coming up on four centimeters and five grams in weight."

"It's so tiny," TK sighed.

"It is, but with proper rest, and if you rest well until we discharge you, it will grow very fast to be strong and healthy."

TK turned to Carlos as he grabbed his hand when he heard that. He had apologized to him about five hundred times for what happened in the abandoned building, but it never seemed like enough.

Carlos leaned over him and gave him a kiss on the forehead. "I know, tiger, I know. But now I'm going to take care of you two and..."

"Well, here it is," the doctor said after a few moments of resting the sonogram on TK's belly.

The first thing that cut Carlos' sentence short was the loud and steady sound of the baby's heart and as soon as he looked up at the computer screen he saw the little figure floating in there. He was already starting to imagine what would be little arms, and the head was huge but the doctor said it was normal.

"As far as I can see here the baby is perfectly fine, there is no damage from the fall. Everything is in order and I don't see... Wait a minute, hold on. Jackson." He turned to one of the nurses who was assisting. "I need you to move the ultrasound to the right and I'll adjust the image."

"Doctor, what's wrong?" Carlos asked as he felt TK gripping his hand even tighter and his body tensing up. "Is the baby okay, is TK okay?"

"Yes, my patients are perfectly fine," the doctor replied as he continued adjusting the image and doing something that neither Carlos nor TK understood yet. "The thing is, I didn't realize I have one more patient."

A second later two heartbeats sounded at the same time below TK's loud one. They looked at each other, both wanting to be sure they were hearing correctly.