(13) Mixed Emotions

Chapter Thirteen... Mixed Emotions

"You kissed him! What the hell were you thinking?!"

I'd unintentionally caused a rift between my two best friends. Here was Ally, telling me I'd done the wrong thing, that kissing James two nights ago was a serious error in judgement and that if I got back with him he'd only hurt me all over again. On the other hand, Vicki was suggesting we reconcile as we made an excellent couple, and he wouldn't cheat again.

And I was annoyingly stuck in the middle, unsure as to whether I should get back with James or not.

He'd cheated on me. Turned me into an agressive person who had learnt not to trust those closest to me. Made me violent, a friend to the police... note the sarcasm in the word friend. But I still loved James. It was hard not to love someone who I'd given my heart to... who still loved me the same. Sure. he'd made a mistake. But mistakes are a part of life, are they not?

All I could think about was that kiss. James' soft, familiar lips locked sensationally with mine. My body's reaction; had I not had a head injury, I know that kiss would have only been a small part of what happened that night. My heart beating fast as James looked into my eyes, like nothing had ever changed between us... like we'd never drifted apart.

Well, we hadn't drifted. More like savagely ripped apart, we were. My one bitchy little cheerleader who actually wasn't a cheerleader anymore. And I'd quit our school's squad too, not wanting to cause them any more trouble. They took it understandingly, but I think they felt upset that I didn't stay with them. But being a cheerleader had caused more problems than it solved.

I felt my heart begin to beat faster, and my breathing become heavier, as James walked from the car park.

"Stop looking at him!" Ally hissed.

"Back off, Ally," Vicki warned. "They make a good couple. No denying it."

"No, they don't," Ally disagreed. "If they made a good couple, he wouldn't have cheated on her. Think of that!"

"Error in judgement," Vicki said simply. "He wouldn't do it again to her. He loves her too much."

"Have you never heard of the phrase 'once a cheater, always a cheater'?"

"Have you never heard of sometimes people make mistakes, but they learn from them?! Cut the guy a break, would you? He poured his heart out to Katie, and he loves her."

"Oh, he's totally lying! He'll only turn around and screw another Mia!"

"Guys!" I shouted. "Knock it off, alright?"

I stood up and walked over to James. He stood with Russell, looking around.

His face lit up when he saw me.

"Katie!" James grinned. "You look a lot better than you did the other night?"

"Thanks, James," I said shyly.

"Hey, Kate," Russell smiled. "How's your head?"

"Much better, thanks, Russ," I replied cheerfully. "Still have stitches... they're a pain!"

"Katie," James winked. "Let's uh... let's take a walk, shall we?"

"Uh... okay," I smiled.

We strolled into a private part of the school. James put his hands on either side of my waist, and pulled me in closer.

"I hope I'm not offending you by touching you," he whispered.

"N-n-not... at all..." I stammered.

"I love making you all nervous," he chuckled, and our lips met.

"Ally thinks I'm making a mistake," I said after our lips parted. "Letting you back into my life. She thinks you're not worth it."

"Oh, that doesn't surprise me," he sighed. " Alexandra never liked me. Never trusted me."

"Does she have any particular reason not to, James?" I asked curiously.

"No," he groaned. "I just think she thinks I'm an asshole."

"Oh, you can be an asshole," I agreed. "But it's just the same as Ally can be a bitch. She's almost as bitchy as Mia..."

"So what does Vicki think of me?" he asked.

"She's telling me to go for it," I smiled. "That we're a great couple... that we go well together, and all of that sort of thing."

"So she likes me?"

"I guess she does."

"And you like me?"

"Love is a better term."

"I love you, Kaitlin," he whispered, kissing my cheek. "We'd better... uh... class?"

"Ooh!" I gasped, walking hand-in-hand with James.

There were a few confused looks around from people. A few smiles... a few frowns... I guess it was hard for people to digest that I would take James back after everything that had happened. And a part of me wondered if I was doing the right thing...

Especially when his best friend dragged me into a broom closet.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Russell hissed at me.

"What?" I frowned. "We're giving it another go, Russ."

"You're a fool if you trust him again, Katie," he warned.

"Why?" I asked. "Everyone deserves a second chance! And you're friends with him again! So don't you tell me that I'm doing the wrong thing!"

"I love you!" he blurted out, and my mouth fell open.

"Wh-what?" I breathed.

"I'm in love with you," he whispered, and our lips met.

I didn't know how to react. The last time I was in this broom closet was back in my sophomore year, and James was the one planting a kiss on me. I had slapped him hard, totally repulsed. But Russell's kiss was soft, and my surprised lips seemed to be enjoying it.

What a great way to confuse my already mixed emotions...