(16) Just Some Surprises (The Final Chapter)

Chapter Sixteen... Just Some Surprises

"God I am over planning a wedding, James. I love you, but this sucks!"

You would think that I'd be excited to be planning our wedding. But no... it was driving me nuts!

James and I had been engaged for about seven months. And ever since, I'd been making an attempt planning our perfect wedding. But it was hard, especially since a few obstacles had meant we couldn't get married as soon as we wanted to.

But the death of James' father had left him depressed, and he'd quietly asked to hold off on the wedding plans in which case we'd stopped planning for over a month.

That was three months ago...

We were then supposed to start planning again, but graduation and prom sort of stalled us. Plus, we both had our nineteenth birthdays, college tours, house hunting, future planning...

So currently, I would just slot in some wedding thing whenever there was free time.

"Honey, we have our whole lives to get married," James said again. "It's fun to plan..."

"Ha, no it's not!" I snorted.

"You need to ease up, Katie," James chuckled. "You're pretty moody today."

"Do not call me moody!" I spat.

"Stop picking arguments with me!" he snapped.

"Oh, and you call me moody," I groaned, rolling onto my back. I quickly got uncomfortable, sitting upright.

"Is the baby kicking again?" he asked.

"Yes, very hard!" I wailed. "Pretty sure it's gonna take after you!"

That was another thing that had happened to us. The night we reunited, we conceived a child together. So I was seven months' pregnant, but out of high school and looking forward to getting married and being a mother. I know that it was probably bad that it happened like that, but I missed the pill that one day and bam! Positive pregnancy test.

But it wasn't all bad.

James was excited about being a father. And I was keen to be a mother, even if people kept telling me that I was stupid for taking James back, I was stupid for getting pregnant, and I was stupid for marrying him! Screw them! I was happy, and that was all that mattered.

My mom was even happy!

When I first told her I was pregnant, she simply smiled and told me that she already knew. I didn't understand, but she said she just had a feeling... and it was a good one. So I was surprised. My dad was a bit... uh... well, like a father would be when he hears his daughter is knocked up.

My friends, on the other hand, had mixed emotions.

(Five and a half months before...)