5 - The Other Side

They are brutal.

My days of training with Scythe Seris, that is.

Ever since telling her about time traveling, she has pushed me even harder, constantly telling me "You have to get stronger Caera. You want to be a candidate to be sent to Dicathen right?"

Of course I want to be sent there.

Grey is there...

Or should I call him Arthur in this timeline?

Whatever...

I decided my break was over, and started to walk back towards Scythe Seris.

"Is there no better way to train me? My sword skills are already much better than the last time we've trained." I questioned.

"Patience Caera. My training might be repetitive and harsh on your small body, but I guarantee you'll be happy with the results. Besides, from what you've told me about this 'Grey' his skills with a sword could be considered otherworldly compared to you. No offense..."

I pouted. "He has much more experience than I do! I bet he can even beat you in a sword fight!"

"That, we will have to see. Come now, Caera. Let's resume from where we had left off." My mentor said while getting back into a fighting stance.

If anything I wanted to say this training was on the level of Grey's. I knew that wasn't true though. After all, he was trained by the Asuras themselves. I need to focus on myself right now. I have no time to be thinking about anything else besides getting stronger and getting sent to Dicathen.

Lifting my sword, and getting into my own fighting stance, I yelled out. "Here I come!"

Rushing my mentor, I slashed at her a few times. Even with my improved skills, it was useless in this small body. Seris effortlessly parried and countered each strike I threw at her.

I was about to use mana, but remembered we were training without any mana today.

Flashback

"So Caera, did this 'object' in the relictombs tamper with your body at all?" My mentor asked with a strange curiosity in her eyes.

"From what I know, it didn't change anything. I haven't tried fighting though. I've just been trying to move while gathering and purifying mana in my core."

It was a technique I heard Grey talk about. 'Mana Rotation' was what he called it. He said it could only be learned at a young age. I don't know how young he meant, but I was hoping i'd be able to pick up on it.

Scythe Seris stood up. "Alright Caera, out to the yard. We are going to spar." She gestured for me to follow her.

Out in the yard, Scythe Seris tossed me a wooden sword.

"No holding back. Use whatever you have in your arsenal at this moment."

At first, without using mana, I rushed my mentor, hoping to catch her off guard with my improved sword skill. It worked for a moment, but I saw her eyes adapt almost instantly. A small smile crept up my face, but as fast as it came up, everything went downhill.

I had no power.

No runes to fight with.

No Vritra blooded spells to use. At least not yet. It would be in a few months when my blood would manifest.

"W-wait S-Scythe Seris" I stammered.

"What is the matter Caera, did I not tell you to go all out?" She asked, while looking dead in my eyes.

"I-I can't! I don't have any of the abilities i've had previously. I don't know if it's the same for Arthur or not, but I can't do anything mana related besides absorb it!"

Scythe Seris smiled. It was the type of smile only people that were obsessed with power would have.

"You know Caera, this can be a great opportunity for you. Without any runes, you could learn to use magic like a Dicathian. Assuming you can learn how to use magic like them in this short time."

I nodded and formed a response. "If it'll help me in the long run, I'll do it. As long as I can get sent to Dicathen before the war starts, i'll do whatever it takes!"

Flashback - End

I continued my assault on my mentor, not letting up on her. Suddenly, she dodged one of my strikes and kicked me to the ground.

"You're getting better Caera. Who knows, at this rate, you might catch up to me someday." She said whilst offering me a hand.

Taking her hand, I smiled.

"Let's just hope Scythe Cadell thinks i'm tough too. And let's also hope these fake runes you've gave me are good enough to let me pass the qualifications to go to Dicathen."

Timeskip

"Ms. Denoir, are you ready? We're making way for Dicathen in five."

Looking at the person who called out to me, I responded. "Can't you see I'm doing a final check of my inventory, Kai?"

"Whatever, Caera. I'm just saying, it'd be a shame after you worked this hard to get here and just forgot to come with."

Zipping up my bag, then putting it in my dimension ring, I stood up.

"Alright, i'm ready!" I exclaimed.

Walking up to the portal with Kai, I was met with multiple feelings.

How would I feel seeing Gre- Arthur again...?

Will he remember me? Will he even have memories from the past timeline? Does he even exist in this timeline?

Shaking off the bad thoughts, I let the good thoughts flow in.

He'll be there. He'll tell me Regis is okay too! He'll still care for me...

"Alright Caera 'Crestless'. Ready to start our mission?"

"Yeah let's go."

____________________________________

Yeah, I wrote this chapter mainly when I was sick. That why it's TERRIBLE (in my eyes)💀.

Tomorrows compensation chapter will be better!

I'll also be explaining/expanding on Caera's Mana Core situation later on.

That's all for now!

See you guys in the next one!