A Friday Night Like This

I looked at the divorce papers in front of me, tears springing to my eyes. Why? He crossed his toned, tan arms, arching an eyebrow. His dark hair hung limply around his shoulders.

'Go on. Just sign them.' He said, his liquid voice harsh.

I met his dark eyes, which were guarded.

'Please, just anything else. I want this to work. Do you?' I pleaded, placing down the pen I had been spinning between my fingers.

He sighed, closing his eyes.

'You know my answer to that,' he said between clenched teeth. 'But I... I just can't do it. I love you, but this isn't working.'

'We can make it work, baby.' I tried giving him a hug, but he quickly stepped out of my hold.

'Please, don't. Just sign the damn paper, Kellin.' I sighed, picking up my pen again.

'Give me time, please. One more day. I'll sign your papers this time tomorrow.' I tried bargaining with him, buying myself more time.

'Fine. But you better do it.' He snapped, stomping off to his room. His wedding ring was lying on the kitchen bench, blue counter complimenting the ring's shiny gold surface. I picked up the ring and looked on the inside.

They say that love is forever.

I took off my own.

Your forever is all that I need.

Maybe this was his forever. I hoped not.

I went to the couch and arranged the blankets and pillows. I brushed my teeth and changed into my pyjamas, listening to Vic turning over in his sleep. I switched off the lamp and snuggled deeper into the warmth, curling my toes.

I fell asleep listening to the faint breathing, my nose under the blankets because it was so cold. I wished I could rewrite the past so that I would still be in Vic's bed with him keeping me warm and I he. A smile slipped its way onto my lips.

'Wake up.' Vic's voice cut through my slumber, and I forced my eyes open, my vision blurry. I rubbed my eyes and looked at the three Vic's surrounding me.

'It's almost nine. Get up.' The real Vic stalked off, grabbing his car keys, the doppelgängers slowly fading. 'I'll be back in a few hours.' I watched him close the door, and I put my head in my hands. Something felt wrong. I inspected my hands and saw that the cool metal band wasn't around my finger. I went over to the bench and saw it sitting there, next to Vic's still. I slipped it on, the ring feeling at home in its groove it had worked on from a year of being there. I grabbed cereal and a bowl, pouring out some cornflakes. I dumped in some sugar and made a coffee. After my coffee was completed I poured the milk in my cereal. I sat at the bench, reading the divorce papers, my cereal nice and crunchy. I sighed as I finished the third page, flipping over to the fourth. An idea suddenly struck me, and I grabbed my laptop, going into Google. I found what I was looking for - marriage counselling. I dialled the number and a friendly voice spoke into the receiver.

'Hi, I'm Misty from Smith Marriage Counselling. How may I help you?'

'Um hi, I was just wondering if there were any available sessions for later this afternoon.' I said, speaking quickly so that I didn't give up.

'Yes, we have an opening at four thirty. Is that suitable?' Misty asked, her tone business like.

'Fine, thank you.' I said, butterflies filling my abdomen.

'The session will run for half an hour, Mr?'

'Fuentes.'

'Fuentes. The first session is free. Goodbye.' Misty hung up, presumably to attend to another client.