2 - Harlan's Gone

I felt like I had been punched in the gut and I didn't know how I was going to breath.

"Willa?" Linda asked placing a hand on my back as I took a deep, shaky breath.

"Dead? What?" I asked in a small voice.

"I just saw him at work yesterday, he was fine." I said upset.

"In his sleep last night, he had a stroke. Marta found him this morning." Ransom said and I just sat in shock and then looked at Oliver.

"Ransom...he shouldn't be in here." I said and he shook his head.

"Death is a part of life, better he learn that now." Ransom said and I groaned.

"Ransom..." I said.

"Damnit Willa, I want him in here!" Ransom raised his voice making me jump slightly and I noticed Oliver did too. Everything was hitting me, Harlan was gone and I didn't know what to do. I felt my eyes fill with tears. Harlan was the rock of this family, he was everything.

"Ransom, maybe you and Willa could take Ollie into the library and talk to him one on one..." Linda said and he nodded. He stood up carrying Oliver still. Linda grabbed my hand before I could get up.

"He is trying to be strong and act like it's not affecting him." Linda said and I nodded. So he was acting like typical Ransom. I walked into the library behind Ransom and Oliver. We sat down on a couch that was in there sitting Oliver between us.

"What's wrong?" Oliver asked seeing the worry on both our faces. I looked at Ransom so he would know to take over, he wanted to tell him.

"Oliver, sometimes people have to leave us and they won't be coming back..." Ransom said and Oliver looked at him confused, I sighed.

"Let me." I said and Ransom sighed but nodded and Oliver looked at me.

"Hey, remember when we got that goldfish and he died. I explained to you death and how sometimes things just leave us and don't come back to us in this life?" I asked and Oliver nodded. "Well Great-Grandpa Harlen is gone sweetie. He died." I said and Oliver looked down at his lap.

"I won't see him again?" Oliver asked.

"Unfortunately no buddy, none of us will." Ransom said. I saw his arm on the back of the couch and I reached back and took his hand. He looked at me and gave a small smile.

"Did he know I loved him?" Oliver said and I felt tears fall.

"Of course he did! He loved you so much and he will always be watching over you." I said and Oliver moved to Ransom's lap and just wrapped his arms around his neck and hugged him. I felt more tears fall as I cried silently.

"Hey buddy, why don't you run to the kitchen. Marta and Fran should be in there. I bet they have cookies and milk." Ransom said. Oliver smiled and gave me a hug then ran out of the library. Ransom looked at me.

"Come here." Ransom said and I wrapped my arms around him and just cried into his chest.

"Ransom...I literally just saw him yesterday. He seemed fine." I sobbed and he sighed with a nod and placed his chin on the top of my head and just held me.

"I know Wils..." Ransom said and I looked up at him as he was trying to be strong. I pulled away from him and placed a hand on his cheek.

"You can't be strong forever Ransom. It's just me and you in here." I said and he sighed and I saw his eyes fill with tears and then he took a deep breath, shaking his head.

"I'm okay..." Ransom said and I sighed and just continued to hug him. We held each other a little longer and then I looked at Ransom.

"You just gave our kid cookies and I need him to go to bed..." I said and Ransom groaned.

"I don't care Willa. I will get him to sleep." Ransom said and I nodded.

"Damn right you will." I said with a smirk and he just shook his head.

"So why did you send the cops to come and get me?" I asked.

"I didn't think I would be able to drive. I'm still in shock right now." Ransom said and I smiled at him sweetly.

"I'm happy you didn't drive. I can't lose you too." I said and he pulled me back to him and we hugged.

"Did you really bring Dash?" Ransom said and I laughed.

"I didn't know how long we would be here and I couldn't leave him alone. I knew Harlan had dog food and stuff here." I said. Ransom nodded. We were silent when Marta came walking into the library.

"Sorry to interrupt..." She said and looked at the ground.

"No interruption Marta, everything okay?" I asked.

"Well instead of cookies I gave Oliver some spaghetti for dinner from the leftovers. I hope that was okay..." Marta said and I nodded.

"Of course it was, thank you. He hadn't had dinner." I said and she smiled. Ransom was supposed to have dinner with him and I didn't want to cook something just for Ransom go show up. I got up from the couch and walked over to her. I pulled her into a hug and I felt her relax slightly in my arms.

"I'm so sorry Marta." I said and she sighed as we released.

"He was your family..." She said and I shook my head.

"He was yours too. He loved you." I said and Ransom nodded coming up behind me.

"Anything you need, you just let me know." Ransom said placing his hands on my shoulders.

"Thank you." She said and walked out. I turned and looked at Ransom.

"Where am I sleeping tonight? I mean I noticed everyone was here so all rooms are taken." I said and Ransom sighed.

"Um...with me." Ransom said and I laughed.

"Seriously?! Last time we slept together we made a thing that calls us mom and dad." I said and he laughed.

"I know but like you said all rooms are taken..." Ransom said and I groaned.

"This should be interesting." I said and Ransom chuckled.

"Just stay on your side sweetie. I know it might be hard but I need you to control yourself." Ransom said and I punched him in the shoulder.

"You're a pig." I said and walked out of the library. I walked into the kitchen to Oliver finishing his dinner while Linda stood talking to him.

"Hey you two. My grandson was just telling me how he was planning on asking Ransom to take him to the aquarium tomorrow." Linda said and I looked at Ransom. "I think that's a good idea. The three of you should go." Linda continued.

"Don't we need to be here?" I asked. She shook her head.

"No I will just be making funeral arrangements." Linda said and I nodded I looked at Ransom as was Oliver.

"Please daddy?" Oliver asked and I smiled.

"Why the hell not." Ransom said and I elbowed him I the stomach.

"Ransom!" Linda said and he groaned. I looked at Oliver.

"I think we need to work on getting you to bed little man." I said and he groaned but took my hand.

"You coming to say good night?" I asked Ransom. Oliver let go of my hand and hugged Linda then came back to me.

"Yeah, let's go get him tucked in." Ransom said as we walked out of the kitchen.