Chapter 10

I did not know how long I had been lying on the ground for, drying my eye ducts out then resting, motionless on the cobblestone floor, the cold rock on my cheek having no effect on my state of mind. The entire time the prince just watched, not daring to make a sound after the stunt I pulled of.

After a while the room had stopped shaking but debris from the ceiling lay scattered around the room. I was sure the workers must have felt something out of the ordinary, the vibrations from the tower felt very powerful, although I was probably rendered senseless to some of it due to my fit of rage, however no one came. Not even to the bottom of the tower to yell up at me about how I was banished from the kingdom.

Self-pity was leaving my mind as it cleared more and I rose to my feet, analysing the destruction I caused; the prince's arm had returned to normal, no sign of wheat anywhere, and the railing pinning it to the wall was visibly too tight as his fingers were turning blue, had I left him any longer they might have been the same shade as his hair.

From across the room, I loosened the grip on his arm until the railing completely fell off. He had an empty stomach therefore was completely powerless but with my newly-calm mind, I remembered what it was that terrified me and made sure to stay on the other side of the room, repeating in my head that I was the most powerful sorceress and he was incapable of harming anyone but himself.

Upon freeing his other arm, he did not seem to understand that I was letting him go and kept himself pinned to the wall in fear. "You are free to move." I was almost taken aback when he flinched at my voice, "Just do not come too close," for his own safety really, I probably would have tried to hurt him if he did.

Carefully, I watched as he moved slowly from his place on the wall to the bed, not taking his eyes off of me, yet too afraid to make eye contact. I tried not to think about it too much but I got the feeling that his lack of eye contact was a positive development, meaning that, at that moment in time, he did not lack all self-respect and want to be rid of himself, so I felt safer.

The prince pulled his legs to his chest, sat at the back of the bed, resting against the headboard, the furthest place in the room from me. "Do you really know how to, um... fix me?" his voice, a whisper, felt like it was being choked out, as of he was about to cry.

"Yes, I know what can be done to fix you, but... as much as I dare not to say this, I do not know if I can do it," I sighed and mist emerged as the cold seeped in through the window, "but if I cannot fix you then no one can."

Walking over to the window, I casted a tricky time spell, which reversed the damage I caused to the window and then the rest of the room, "If I do this, it will be a long, tedious process, and I will need your full cooperation."

Hesitantly, I inched closer to the bed, as the prince backed up as far as he could, I was getting myself into unknown territory here, "in your current erm... state, I acknowledge that it is difficult for you to push yourself and while I cannot understand that at all, I have to factor that in."

He seemed confused as he squinted his eyes, "Aren't you just gonna fix me?" He was slightly more confident in his words, this time. "It is not that simple, I will try to explain it."

Retracing my steps, I made my way back to the window where the now repaired chair was so I could sit at eye level with the prince, "There is not actually anything wrong with you, so to speak. Unlike my initial thoughts and the king's descriptions, there is no curse upon you that I can lift, which makes my job a lot trickier. The truth is, this problem you have will never actually go away because, you are the problem inherently."

"I thought you could fix me," he looked like he was starting to lose hope again. "As I was explaining, this manifestation, whatever you may call it, is a part of your being. You were born with it, not as a curse but as if it were your arm. It is possible it was passed down from your mother since I never met her, it's less likely that you inherited it from the king since I sensed nothing in him, however it is most likely this is a spontaneous mutation. If the king knew what he was dealing with here, he would have been better off calling for a user of science."

"My mother was elven." The prince recalled the last word more quietly as he quickly tapped on his ears. "I did notice the ears but assumed it was the curse, now you have said that it makes much more sense, but this manifestation is not a trait of an elf, pesky creatures, and I hate the lot, have you never met one?" He shook his head, softly.

"Well, nevermind. Still, I think I am right with my theory that it is a spontaneous mutation. If you have been like this since birth then I suppose there are problems with that theory but still... Did you say something?" I thought I heard him mutter something. "It wasn't at birth." His speech was more ragged and his body started to shake. Hands like claws, he scratched at his legs and started to wail.

I had told myself that I would force him to cooperate and help him but at the first sight of his relapse into hopelessness, I became frightened despite my repeatings of 'I am more powerful than him'. Fleeing the room, I directed myself to my bed chambers, preparing to ignore any workers that tried to stop me, however I was only met with piles of rubble and holes in the ceiling.

My sleeping quarters were no different, the glass windows had shattered and shards scattered across my bed reflected afternoon light into my eyes. It did not take long before I realised this was my doing, when I lost control of my emotions and the waves pf despair emanated from my body, I had not realised it was this powerful, would have spread this far.

In school they always preached the importance of controlling ones emotions, I had only assumed that was a lesson taught to every species in order to be sharper but maybe we only learnt this lesson to prevent us from inflicting harm or losing control of our magic, surely no human could cause this damage when they got emotional.

The whole castle was due for repair, I noticed as I scrambled through the halls, searching for any sign of life or any sign of injury. I heard noises coming from the main hall, in the centre of the palace; I had never been near there but I knew of its whereabouts as it took up a great portion of the castle.

Reaching the hall entrance, I heard a mixture of voices resonate from within, mostly along the lines of 'We want her gone'. I knew I was in deep trouble already, but this surely must have been the tipping point. After pulling myself together, I tiptoed as I slowly pushed the doors open, which did not hide my presence as they let out a huge screech from years of rust.

All eyes landed on me as the room went silent.

"I assume this is your doing." The King's voice lacked all traces of anger it possessed when he was reprimanding me. "Yes, your highness, and I can assure that it will not take me long to clean thi-

"You witch.", "Freak of nature", "Stupid Beldam", "Rot in hell.". Many offences were thrown at me but I was stronger this time, I could control my emotions, since it was my lack of control that got me into this situation. I tried to speak above the crowd, "I am fully capable and willing to undo the dam-

"SILENCE." The king's voice, still lacking emotion but louder, sent silence across the hall, "I do not want you to help repair the kingdom-

"But your highness, it will save you time, money and resources if I help, forgive me, did you say the kingdom?"

The king smashed his fist onto the table he was perched on at the top of the room, "You do not get a second chance. I will have no arguments, sorceress Y/N you are hereby banished from the Kingdom of Amijiki, any efforts to return will result in a bounty put on your head. Leave. Now."