Part 5

AMAHLE

We headed to Jack Rabbits and ordered some delicious food. For the first time, I decided to try wine, a sweet rosé, and surprisingly, I found it to my liking. Damon's girlfriend, Jade, was the one who ordered the wine. As she poured me a glass, Damon gave me an intimidating look. I couldn't figure out why he was eyeing me like that.

"How is it?" Jade asked.

"It's actually nice," I replied.

"I told you so. Never doubt me," she said confidently.

"I never will. Never again," I assured her.

"We'll get along just fine. So, how did you and this one meet?" she inquired, nodding toward Damon.

"He bumped into me at Ushaka last year at Spur," I explained.

"Oh, so you're the typical stubborn Xhosa girl," she teased.

"Is that what he calls me?" I asked with a smirk.

"No offense," she added.

"None taken. My friends call him the white jerk from Spur," I confessed.

"Touché," she said, and we clicked our glasses together.

"What are we toasting to?" Damon asked.

"Nothing, guys, chill," Jade replied, and we laughed, clicking our glasses again.

"So, what are you doing here in KZN?" Jade asked.

"I'm going to be doing my first year at UKZN Howard campus, Bsc in Land Surveying," I informed her.

"Oh, wow. Damon did his law there; now he tutors there part-time," she shared.

"Really?" I responded.

"He can always give you a lift, or better yet, he can take you to register. Monday, he's free," she suggested.

"I don't want to impose on his free time," I hesitated.

"I'm sure he won't mind, babe," Jade said, calling Damon over.

"Yes?" he responded.

"Amahle needs a lift to Howard tomorrow," Jade explained.

"Okay?" Damon agreed.

"So, you'll take her, right?" Jade asked.

"Fine. Be ready at 8 am," Damon agreed.

"Okay, thanks," I replied.

Jen chimed in, "I'll catch a lift with you guys tomorrow."

"Anyone else needs a lift?" Damon asked, looking around.

They laughed at him.

"I guess no one does then," Meg commented.

"Let's just eat and go home," Damon suggested.

We enjoyed our meal and engaged in the ongoing conversation at the table. When the waitress brought the bill, Andrew took care of it, explaining that they took turns covering the expenses each time they went out. It seemed like a fair arrangement for them.

.

.

SANDISO

The atmosphere between the two girls beside me carried an undeniable tension, and I couldn't help but derive some amusement from the situation.

Sisa contemplated, "I should go already."

I questioned, "So soon?"

Entle echoed, "Yeah, so soon?"