The Open Wheel Stage

In that year 2000, when he was only 15, Hamilton showed all the extent of his talent. By winning 5 races out of 8 in the European Championship he outrageously beat his team-mate Nico Rosberg, but also Marco Ardigo (future World Karting Champion) and Robert Kubica. Despite a hand in plaster as a result of a bicycle accident, Lewis notably dominated both finals at Val d’Argenton, thus forever stamping his mark on the minds of everyone present on the French track that day…

In addition to his European crown, Lewis landed in 2000 the World Cup for Formula A at Suzuka. He also fought for the World Championship lead when he was betrayed by his engine. As the MBM team changed chassis suppliers for the 2001 season, Lewis did not achieve similar results in Formula Super A – the day’s top category. However, during the final of the World series on the Kerpen course, Ron Dennis’s young protégé was noticed by Michael Schumacher, making a brief return to karts for the occasion. “He is fast, mentally very strong, and only 16. If he continues in this path I am sure he will make it to Formula One” the German then stated. He was not wrong…

Nico rosberg couldn't do anything to stop lewis at the European championship, it was close but not close enough