𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

↬ 𝒷𝓁𝒾𝓃𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓁𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓈 ↫

↬ 𝒷𝓁𝒾𝓃𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓁𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓈 ↫

[THANK YOU FOR OVER 100K READS?? I NEVER EXPECTED THIS FIC TO GET MUCH ATTENTION BUT TYYY <3 ALSO THIS CHAPTER WAS MEANT TO BE A LOT LONGER, BUT I FEEL BAD I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN A MONTH... I DID POST ANOTHER XIAO FIC ON THIS ACCOUNT TO MAKE UP FOR IT THO, IF U WANT TO READ IT. IT'S MORE OF A HURT/COMFORT VENTFIC BUT IDK, SOMEONE MIGHT ENJOY IT]

You'd rushed around your house to ensure that you were ready for the long night ahead, but you still felt you were missing something. You almost felt like a wisp, with how your dress flowed elegantly behind you in each movement, but you didn't let yourself get too distracted by it. Instead, you rummaged through your drawers in search of a specific necklace, and you were beginning to panic as you failed to find it.

Thankfully, though, you managed to pull it out of your desk and heaved a breath, leaning against the wall with relief. It took a moment to actually clip it around your neck, but it eventually rested nicely against your collarbone, the color and butterfly outline matching your dress perfectly.

It had been a present from your mother, before she passed. This necklace was one of the last, and only, things you received from her, but you treasured it all the same. You didn't wear it often, though, since it was difficult to set eyes on, knowing why she gifted it to you. She didn't even offer it in person, but she discreetly placed it in your purse with a small note attached before you left the hospital one day. 

She was never the type of person to express love out in the open; only in quiet moments, protected by the darkness, would she ever show her true feelings. You assumed this was a coping mechanism, but she never shared enough of her life for you to be entirely certain. You often wished she would've felt safe enough to confide in her own daughter.

You snapped out of your nostalgia when you heard a knock on the door to your apartment and excitement pulsed through your body as you almost tripped over yourself trying to reach the doorknob. When you threw it open, your eyes latched onto Xiao's figure and he took a half-step backward from shock.

"Hey!" You said, not-so-subtly eyeing him in his suit.

He looked beautiful as always, but seeing him in a suit was... something else. He looked sophisticated, but still slightly untidy. The jacket was undone and the shirt wasn't buttoned all the way, leaving a small window to see his chest, and he didn't bother to wear a tie. His hair seemed softer, but the style remained the same as always; it made you want to rake your fingers through his hair and observe how the teal highlights blended in with the rest.

Meanwhile, Xiao was left speechless from your appearance, and how gorgeous you looked in the dress. It suited your body nicely, and you looked comfortable in it. His subconscious mind compared your relaxed expression to the tension in your eyes from when you first met, and it offered him a sense of peace. You became more confident, even with the slight tint of nervousness swimming in your eyes.

"Uh, Xiao?" You waved your hand in front of his face and he flinched, breaking out of his trance. 

He cleared his throat awkwardly, "...You look nice."

Your face flushed pink and you sheepishly rubbed your arm, dropping your eyes to the floor, "You too. Um, should we go, then?"

"Oh, right. Yeah."

>────☾⛧☽────<

The car ride was tranquil, silent aside from the occasional ticking of a turn signal and the constant humming of the road beneath the tires. To your surprise, Xiao's car wasn't as fancy as you expected; it was an affordable, beat-up truck, though the inside was still neatly maintained. It made you wonder why he didn't put his money to use on a more expensive vehicle.

"How long have you had this car?" You asked, looking at the window to see his reflection through the glass.

He glanced in your direction but kept his eyes trained on the road, "Seven years. I never wanted a different one, since this works fine for me."

"You could have a much more luxurious one, though," you spoke. "Not that I don't like it! It's cozy in here. I just... Wondered if there was a particular reason."

He sighed and tapped his finger on the steering wheel, debating whether or not to give a proper answer to your question. In the end, he caved and tilted his head to the side.

"I like feeling normal."

You turned your head to him and gazed with curious eyes, "Hm...?"

He begrudgingly elaborated, gripping the wheel tighter, "Sometimes, I regret putting myself in the public eye. It's... nice to pretend that my life is like anyone else's, just for a while. Not buying useless cars also gives me more money to save for donating."

"...That's nice," you smiled. "I shouldn't have expected anything else, since you're such a charitable person."

"You really see me as a charitable person?" He questioned, peeking over at you to see your kind expression.

"Well yeah," you chuckled. "You literally forced me to take your mora the first time I performed for you."

His face burned at your comment and he sank slightly into his seat, but didn't respond. The atmosphere went quiet once again, though you didn't mind sitting peacefully with him. His presence was a comfort in its own way, easing your nerves as you passed by various street signs, indicating that you were growing closer to your destination.

I can do this, right? Yeah...