Chapter 7: Betrothed

I walked home that day. I knew that Boy was on my bus, because he sat behind Jessa, Shaye, and I. And I knew that he would most definitely ask more questions on where I had been. When I got home, Queen Vera was sitting at the island where we had breakfast.

"So how was school today?" She asked in a tone that said that I might be in trouble.

"Umm... Okay, I guess. I made a friend...?"

"Yes, well are you aware of the fact that the humans have noticed that you have taken Spring closer. Look-" She pointed at the small TV in front of the island. The headline was-SPRING COMES EARLY TO MASSILON PARK, IS GLOBAL WARMING THE CAUSE?

"You must be more discreet, dear. Maybe a little melting of the snow here and there, but not a whole section completely ready for summer! Everything is going to die! What were you thinking? And I heard you ditched school to do it? You are so stupid! I don't know why I treat you so nicely!"

"I had just remembered my duty to the Earth while I was in school. I am trying..."

"Try harder. Oh, and is this your doings also?" She pointed at another TV headline- TREES GROW AND CRASH WINDOWS- IS EXTENSIVE PESTICIDES TO BLAME? 

"Um, well I was lau-"

"Don't ever say 'Um' in public, dear. It's not very becoming of a princess."

"Well, sorry, Vera, but I was actually having a good time with a mortal boy!"

"Oh! Not those humans!" She said 'humans' the way someone else would say 'pus-filled blister' "They are completely revolting! Why would you ever socialize with them?"

"Maybe because I don't want to talk to the same three Seasonals everyday? Have you noticed that your daughter also has mortal friends?"

"Oh, no dear. Those are just to keep the appearence that she is not solitary all the time."

"So me having a good time with a mortal boy isn't?"

"No, that is completely different! She doesn't actually have a good time with them, they are just accessories that will soon die anyway."

"What do you mean, 'will soon die anyway'?"

"Oh nothing...nothing."

"Tell me! I have the right to know!"

"Says who?"

"I am the Spring Seasonal. The only one. You will tell me, or I will refuse to incline to your summer."

"Fine, fine. There is a dark force that is threatening the Seasonals. He has decided the world doesn't need the seasons and that it would be best to keep the Earth in a cold summer forever. A cold, barren wasteland. We have not found out who the culprit is, but we know that it will happen this summer."

"Oh, I understand. But can't I still be friends with this mortal boy?"

"No, didn't the other Seasonals tell you about this during lunch?"

"No, I was eating with the mortal boy."

"Well, I doubt your fiance will be too happy about that..."

"What?"

"Your fiance, dear. You need to be Queen of Spring by the end of next winter, or you will die."

"Die?"

"Yes, but that is not what happened to your mother. She decided to be with a human, and have you. No Seasonal has ever married a human. When that happened, she immediately turned gray and wrinkled. She was over 1,000 years old. Her Season kept her alive until the middle of winter, long enough to carry you."

"Well, who is Summer engaged to?"

"Summer? Oh, no. She doesn't need to be Queen until I step down."

"When will you step down?"

"In fifty years or so, and then spend the rest of the fifty years in the Bahamas!"

"Seasonals only live for 1,100 years?"

"Yes! Didn't you learn anything during that week I taught you?"

"Sorry."

"Well, you will soon learn who your fiance is. He is another Seasonal and we are having an engagment announcement tonight."

"Okay?"

"Go upstairs and get ready. The other Seasonals will be here in an hour."

"Yes ma'am."

I went to my room and found a short orange petticoat skirt with an orange cami. I also picked out hot pink leggings and a hot pink cropped cardigan with a bow on the front. I went back downstairs, realizing it had been an hour, and found that everyone was already there. I went to sit by the other Seasonal Teens.

"Hey, hoppin party isn't it?" I asked them

"Oh my gosh! This is soo exciting! I can't wait to plan your wedding! Well, help, I mean. Queen Vera is overseeing the most part of it, but I want to do the outfits!" Summer said

"Of course you can help, but I don't know who I'm marrying yet." I looked at the two guys. They both looked pretty mad, but Spencer's face softened when he looked at me.

"Don't worry, neither do Jesse and I." He said. I think he meant that neither of them knew who was marrying me. King Leif tapped his glass with a fork.

"I'd like to make an announcement." He said. I tensed up, expecting the worst. Maybe some Smurfs would come in and save me, but I don't even know what Smurfs are, so there is no use asking them to save me.

"I would like to announce the engagement of Princess Lillie and Prince Spencer!" King Leif said. Spencer and I looked at each other. He smiled a smile that I just wanted to grin back at.

"Now, let's eat!" King Leif said. I had suddenly lost my appetite.

"Hey, marrying me isn't so bad, is it?" Spencer asked me

"What do you mean?"

"Your face is all pale, and slightly green, I might add."

"Oh, sorry, I don't mean it like that, but I've only been alive for a week, and they expect me to marry someone so soon? I don't understand it."

"It's okay. I'm sure it will work out." I looked up at him. I hadn't realized that he had moved his arm to around my shoulder, but he was so warm... I grinned up at him, and he grinned back. We mostly finished the rest of the meal in silence, except when someone would comment about school or the food. Spencer left early and Summer went to bed quickly after dinner. I went up to my room and let Jesse sit downstairs alone. I was starting to pull out my p.j.'s from my dresser, when I felt something cold touch my shoulder sending shivers down my spine.

"I wish we were engaged." I heard Jesse say. His voice was deep and had a musical note in it, like a cello. He moved closer to me.

"But, I'm really engaged to Spencer...." I said, not knowing what Jesse might do. He began kissing my shoulders, sending more shivers inside of me.

"Come on, you don't even know what's out there, you don't even know what love is." He said between kisses.

"Tell me." I said. I turned around and he vanished.

_____________________________________________________________________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE!!!

Hey, what goes on? I have lot's of things planned for Lillie and Jesse, and Lillie and Spencer, and Lillie and Boy... AAAH! IT'S A LOVE SQUARE!!!

Happy Spine!

APRIL-13!!!