Chapter 7

After a week of gathering chemicals, chromium, sciency named items too hard for Kat or Casper to pronounce, and searching far and wide.

Kat and Casper were ready to make the resurrection tonic. They agreed to blend the ingredients together tonight, after school. Today was November 13th and Kat woke up groggy.

Stepping out of bed, Kat stretches her arms and legs while yawning. "Good morning sleepy head!" Casper says, floating through the wall into Kat's room.

Kat smiles. "Good morning Casper, are you ready to try the machine tonight?"

Casper nods, happy that Kat had remembered. He wished they could do it now, but they had to wait because Kat had school and Casper had to help his uncles with some things that Casper had forgotten.

They were stupid and not worth mentioning anyway, Casper could tell they just wanted to keep him occupied. Ever since James Harvey and his daughter, Kathleen Harvey, came to stay at Whipstaff Manor Casper's uncles had changed. They were a lot kinder to Casper, even if they still teased him. At least now he wasn't their servant.

"Do you have to go to school today?" Casper asks.

Kat replies, "I do, I've got a lot of homework to do."Casper sighs in defeat as Kat continues. "And don't you worry, after tonight, we'll enroll you into school too!"

Casper groans with frustration. "I remember school when I was alive, teachers would beat you with a ruler if you disobeyed."

Kat looks at him with a sorry upon her face. "That's awful! Don't worry Casper, school isn't like that anymore, you've seen it yourself! Teachers use different methods to discipline now, you'll see!"

Casper smiles. "I can't wait to go to school with you."

When Kat went to school, Casper stayed home to help his uncles as James Harvey began his next move, next step in front of him and Kat.

They had been all around the country and had never settled down anywhere. James didn't want to break Casper and Kat, but he was worried. They were way too young for marriage, but Kat's assurances reminded him that Kat was more responsible than he thought.

James had planned to buy the Whipstaff Manor, The land cost little to nothing due to the fact that it was run down, haunted by ghosts (many might say), and the property had been owned by Carrigan but she had not created a will before she died and had no relatives except for some nieces and her brother who happily handed over the plot to James and Kat for a price, of course. James was excited to share the news with Kat!

When Kat came home, she was welcomed to a decorated lobby with balloons, lights, and confetti. "Am I missing something?" Kat laughs, dropping her back near the door. "What's going on?"

James shares the news with Kat and they celebrate with the Uncles. The uncles and Casper are excited to live with Kat and James. They dance around the floor, Casper watching from a distance.

His hands tingled, he wanted to dance with Kat, and couldn't get the memory of being human and dancing with her on Halloween night out of his head.

Then Kat glanced his way, remembering herself, and the world stopped around them, they were ready.

The time came quicker then Casper had hoped! Uncles and all, James and Kat, and of course, Casper made their way into the lab. As they did, a dark figure watched from the window..

When they got to the lab, Casper checked the vial, it had the same red tint the last vial had that had saved Kat's father.

"It's ready." Casper says, breaking the silence.

"Do you really want to do this, Casper?" Stretch asks with concern. He had grown to love Casper and the idea of him not being a ghost anymore had started to seep in.

"I do." Casper replies confidently.

Fatso and Stinkie blow their noses, before giving Casper a hug. "We're going to miss this side of you."

"Quite literally!" Fatso adds laughing

Stretch rolls his eyes. "Go get em' nephew." He winks at Casper. Casper grins as he nods to his uncle Stretch.

"Here we go.."

"Be careful Casper." James says as Casper enters the machine.

"Good luck!" Stinkie adds.

"See you on the other side." Fatso continues his joke. The uncles then begin arguing with each other. James crosses his arms, looking at the three ghosts.

"Casper?" Casper hears Kat say, he floats to the entrance of the machine. Kat steps in, embracing Casper tightly before he can say anything.

"We've come a long way, I'm so proud of you." Kat whispers, still hugging him. Casper hugs her back. The hug was warm and sweet.

Stepping out of the machine, Kat turns to the levers, before turning her attention back to Casper. "Are you sure you still want to do this?"

Casper nods, before closing his eyes. James shuts the door and Kat puts the vial into the spot on the machine and turns it upside down. "I hope this works." Kat says nervously.

With a flick of the levers, steam rises from the pipes around Kat the room fills up with fog.

Before anyone knows it, the machine is done, the vial is empty, and the door slowly opens.

Through the smoke, Casper steps forwards, out of the machine, glancing around the world around him. Fatso, Stretch, and Stinkie were the first to see Casper.

Instead of his see-through ghost form, Casper was a boy a human boy! He had his blond toussled hair and his sparkly blue eyes. He had his height, his arms and legs, and skin and bones.

Casper could feel his lungs rise once again. The feeling was refreshing. The first person Casper laid his eyes on was Kat. He ran over and picked her up by the waist and twirled her around.

The two of them were so happy to finally be together and before anyone can do anything else, Casper and Kat's lips meet once again, pulling one another into another warm, comforting hug.

"Do I get to keep you too?" Kat asks.

Casper blushes, their faces inches away, "I'm yours."

They couldn't wait for the life they'd share together and Casper could feel the love of his father and mother. They were happy, and his father's life mission had finally been completed. 

     The End