𝖝𝖝𝖛𝖎. You're Everything to Me

[ tw: suicide ]

𝖝𝖝𝖛𝖎. You're Everything to Me

AS CHRIS AND MAEVE are driven across the Bridge, heading back to the palace after their long day of handshakes and secret plans, she wishes the dawn would begin tonight instead of tomorrow morning. She's intensely aware of the rumble around them while they pass through the city. Everything pulses with energy, from the transports on the streets to the lights woven into steel and concrete. It reminds her of the moment in Grand Garden long ago, when she watched the nymphs play in a fountain or the greenys attend their flowers. She understands now why they want to keep it, to maintain their rule over all the rest, but that doesn't mean she'll let them.

There's usually a feast to celebrate the king's return to his city, but in light of recent events, Caesar's Square is much quieter than it should be. Chris pretends to lament the lack of spectacle, if only to fill the silence.

"The banquet hall is twice the size of the one at the Hall," he says as they enter the great gates. Maeve can see part of Matt's legion drilling at the barracks, a thousand of them marching in time. Their steps beat like a drum. "We used to dance until dawn ━ at least, Matt did. Girls didn't ask me to dance much, not unless Matt made them. I wasn't the heir, which meant they weren't interested."

"I would ask you to dance," she murmurs back to him, her eyes shifting from the barracks to the boy beside her.

Chris doesn't answer, shifting in his seat as they continue on the road, almost there.

"I feel nothing for Matt," she whispers in his ear while the transport begins to coast to a stop.

She pulls back, their faces less than an inch apart, his breath fanning her cheeks. His hand closes around her own as a small smile pulls at his lips, and Maeve does her best to tell herself it's not a lie.

When he kisses her yet again, she still isn't used to it. Her lips mold to his, slow and perfect and sweet. His hands are on both of her cheeks, gentle and smooth. Hers land at the nape of his neck, running her fingers through his hair.

She breaks it after a moment, murmuring against his lips, not strong enough to completely pull herself away, "You're everything to me."

She watches him as he drinks the words in, his features flashing with shock, and then, a deep, unfaltering adoration for Maeve. Chris' cheeks flush silver as he pulls her back to him, not bothering to say anything, his actions speaking much louder than words. This kiss is more forceful, as well as frantic and almost sloppy. They kiss each other so hard that they each get a mouthful of teeth, although neither of them care much. He begins to grin through it, making her heart drop into her stomach and flutter like it never has before. They break away for a single second out of breathlessness, before going back in, a series of single pecks following because they need the closeness, but they also need the air.