𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖎𝖎. I Won't Lose You

AFTER ALL THE goodbyes Maeve has had to give in the past few weeks, she hardly even has the strength to marvel at the boat, driven through the water by electric engines. Black, silver, and red flags flap from every pole, marking this as the king's ship. When she was a girl, she used to wonder why the king laid claim to the Reds color ━ it seemed incredibly beneath him. Now Maeve knows that the flags are red like his flame, like the destruction ━ and the people ━ he controls.

"The Sentinels from last night have been reassigned," Chris mutters as he and Maeve walk along a deck, side by side, shoulders brushing every few moments.

Reassigned is just a fancy word for punished ━ she knows that well. Remembering Pig-Eyes and the way he looked at her, she's not sorry at all. "Where did they go?"

"The front, of course. They'll be attached to some rabble group, to captain injured, incapable, or bad-tempered soldiers. Those are usually the first to be sent to a trench push." By the shadows behind his eyes, she can tell Chris knows this firsthand.

"The first to die," she concludes, her voice lacking emotion.

He nods solemnly, answer enough.

"And Axel?" she asks, concern and guilt creeping through her bloodstream as her thoughts wander to the magnetron who was always kind to her. "I haven't seen him since yesterday ━ "

"He's all right. Traveling with House Vesper, regrouping with family. The shooting has everyone on their heels, even the High Houses."

Relief washes over Maeve, as well as sadness. She misses Axel already, but it's good to know he's safe and far away from Astraea's prying eyes.

Chris bites his lip anxiously, looking subdued. "But not for long. Answers are coming."

"What do you mean?"

"They found blood down in the cells. Red blood."

Maeve's gunshot wound is gone, but the memory of the blinding, white-hot pain has not yet faded. "So?" she wonders.

"So whichever friend of yours had the misfortune to be wounded won't be a secret much longer, if the bloodbase does its job." He gives her a pointed look, as if it's obvious.

"Bloodbase?" She's never heard of it.

"The blood database," he elaborates. "Any Red born within a hundred miles of civilization gets sampled at birth. Started out as a project to understand exactly what the difference is between us, but it ended up just another way to put a collar on your people ━ unfortunately. In the bigger cities, Reds don't use ID cards but blood tags. They're sampled at every gate, coming and going. Tracked like animals." The disgust tainting his voice is clear as day.