𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟕

〘 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄 〙

━━ ━━ ━━ ━━ ━━ ━━ ⌲

- 4 years later -

"Any last word?"

"Please... let me.. g—"He gasped, unable to say the next words. It hurts so bad, he couldn’t breathe. He couldn't even lift his hands to put them around your blood-soaked one, that is currently wrapping around his neck — blocking the airflow in his esophagus.

The grip tightened and with a hiss, you continues, "I never told you could say more than one word."

The man continued to writhe in agony, spitting out his saliva mixed with his blood; what must have been a torrent of verbal abuse as he grew weaker and weaker.

He and others had put up such a fight, but when caught sleeping, was this the best they could muster? Eventually, he stopped twitching and went limp.

After a moment, you eventually let the body fall on top of other corpses. The sight was nothing but a pile of bloodied bodies. From the number of people you have killed, it was basically a massacre.

You were about to grab your requested items that they stole from you until you noticed the color of your hand.

Red.

It wasn't your fault they brought this to themselves. They wanted to claim that big amount of jewels for themselves by using you.

Alas, the only mistake they did was choosing you as a target.

Wordlessly, you used your water magic to wash the dirty liquid off your hands cleanly, drying them with the hem of your shirt — a bad habit of yours that you couldn't rid off.

You sit on your levitate broomstick and pulled out your notes.

"Let's see..."

"Why don't we go somewhere else first?"Aevy suggested, fanning her paw in front of her to wave off the reeks scent of blood, "This place makes me nauseous."

"Throughout 4 years, I thought you are used to it already."Cael raised a brow, resting over your shoulder to look at the papers that are filled with scribbles and marks upon the map of Minstrel.

"First of all, who would?" — Cael raised his paw — "Look at all these dead bodies! They smell like—"

"Watch your words, Aevy."You sternly scolded her before she could say more, eyes not leaving your notebook. "We shouldn't insult the dead."

"I— ugh! Fine!"She flew towards you with a light speed, almost knocking the air out of your lungs. You only pat her lightly, caging her in your arms to refrain her from falling as she snuggles closer.

You understand her action. It was because she said your scent was comforting to her. Even Cael agreed.

'No wonder they always stick around me like glue.'You pondered and return to what you were doing, a pen was gripped in your other hand.

Using the light coming from the moon to illuminate your notes, the broom starts moving slowly.

"10 dark guilds..."You mumbled to yourself, feeling the cold breeze of night grazing your cheeks, your [ color ] hair flowing gently through the wind.

"The next one would be..."You paused, eyes darting around to find the location of the next guild. However, you already cross all locations you marked before you start the quest.

"There is none."Cael pointed out, leaning his head against yours. "We can finally go back."

"Took us only 4 years for a 10 years quest. That's pretty amazing."Aevy's voice was muffled against your clothes, hiding her excited smile from being seen.

"Home..."Realization dawned upon you. For the first time in 3 years, your eyes twinkle in delight. The corner of your lips curves upwards, forming a large smile.

"We can go back!"The three of you cheer simultaneously before erupting into a big gleeful laughter.

You can finally go home.

Darn it.

───────────────

"I would have ridden a train if I hadn't found you, Mystogan."

"What a coincidence to be meeting again, [Y/N]."

"More like fate."You snickered and wrapped your palm around the doorknob of one of the doors in your house; which would lead you to the second floor of the guild. "Seeing you, it was safe to assume you are going to the guild too, yeah?"

"Sorry for troubling you."

"Oh, not at all."You brushed him off but your smile fades away when you failed to open the door.

"This is weird. "

Mystogan, who has been standing behind you, leans over your shoulder to check what's wrong. You keep twisting the doorknob of a door, pulling it too to swing it open but to no avail.

"Maybe it's stuck?"He considered once you sighed in defeat.

"Or they replaced the door of my room."

"Oh well, by foot it is."He shrugged.

"Or I can teleport us there— But I'm not saying we can go with my idea since it would be my second time casting that spell."You quickly added,

"I'm not responsible for any distorted body parts if we do it so walking there is much more better, safer, tireder and pain in the ass—"

"Let's go with your choice."

You snapped your fingers, "Such a brave person you are, I like that about you. So I would like you to reconsider your choice."

"Let's teleport there."He said, not fazing his answer.

"Are you out of your mind or do I need to knock some into your head?"

"I haven't met a powerful wizard like you, [Y/N]."He took a step closer, towering over you due to the height difference the two of you had. His action slightly intimidated you.

"You are strong. Have some faith in yourself."

"You don't need to get so close."You nervously smile but when he took another step, in instinct, you snapped your fingers once again and teleport the four of you to the outskirts of Magnolia Town in the blink of an eye.

"See?"He hummed amusingly as you create a gap between the two of you.

Your eye twitches in irk, "You indirectly threatening me, you masked freak."

An entertained laughter escaped his throat due to his given nickname coming from you regaled him. It was your first time calling him by such a name so he was a bit surprised.

"What was that? It wasn't like you to call me that."

"Ha. Ha. Ha. Whatever, you are pissing me off lately."Waving him off, you were about to take a step till you noticed something abnormal in the air.

"You noticed?"

You only nodded to answer his question. You'd be blind or plain dumb if you didn't notice the amount of lacrimas in the air, surrounding the whole town. Not to mention, a so-called runes barrier in front of you.

"Mystogan, "You called for the male this time, turning around to meet him face-to-face. He shared the same look you had on your face.

"How much did I missed?"

"Plenty. I'll fill you in after we settle this matter."