★ 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 ★

awsten's pov

as i drove back to my shared apartment with geoff and chloe, a million thoughts filled my head.

y/n was back in my life. but, as friends. which, going by the fact that she now has a boyfriend of eight months who she seems to love, meant we'd likely only ever be that.

to say i wasn't still in love with her was a massive lie. it was pathetic, really. ten years later and i was still a fool for her. i had tried to move on and date other people but nobody ever matched up to her. hell, i even wrote songs about y/n and told whoever i was dating it was about her. it was a shitty thing to do, but i how was i supposed to tell them i was still in love with my ex girlfriend?

it was one of the main reasons i just stopped dating. nobody could ever match up to y/n, so why even try to replace her? i was thrilled to see her sitting at starbucks but when i heard that she had already replaced me, i knew that i had to be okay with being friends. i was okay with it. i couldn't have expected her to wait ten years for me anyways. it was a long ass time and we broke up for a reason.

i pulled into the driveway of my apartment and parked. i went inside and walked up the stairs and opened the door.

"rory, you can't put that in your mouth! geoff, get that pen cap away from your daughter so she doesn't choke on it." i walked into chloe stressfully mixing something in a bowl while yelling at her boyfriend to take a pen cap away from their one and a half year old daughter.

home sweet home.

"well, you guys seem to be having a great time!" i greeted my friends. chloe set down the bowl and walked up to me and geoff picked up rory and walked to me as well.

"how did it go? did you guys make progress?" chloe immediately asked me.

"do you think you guys are going to start dating? did she say if she missed you?" geoff added. i shook my head and lounged across the chair.

"calm down, guys. you're asking so many questions you're gonna make me dizzy." i said to them. "yes, we made progress. but no, we're not going to date. ever. she has a boyfriend of eight months and she seems to be pretty damn in love with him."

"awe, that sucks." chloe frowned. geoff nodded.

"yeah, you've been in love with her forever. you'd think she'd still feel the same. you're like soulmates." geoff told me. i shook my head.

"guys, i can't seriously be upset with her for moving on after a decade. it's what i should have done, but i can't and it's fine. at least i have her back as a best friend again. that's enough for me."

i ended up just getting up and heading to my room. i tried not to feel bummed out. i knew she had a boyfriend from the second i saw her again the month before. i was okay with us just being friends. so why was i not?

"i'll just be in here. if i'm playing too loud, just tell me." i told geoff and chloe. i then grabbed my guitar and sat on my bed.

i took and deep breath and strung the chords.

all the girls in los angeles look like you from a distance.

i knew it was stupid to sing a song i wrote about y/n right after getting her back in my life, but it was still somewhat how i felt.

i was hopelessly in love with her and it was never going to go away while she was already happily with someone else.

it was like i was never going to bloom again.