Chapter 18

As if the world could have prepared me better for none other than Yashiro Nene. The soon the empress of the Moon Empire. Her status matched the princes themselves, her value in the kingdom higher than even the royal family. Her presence is the absolute meaning of peace that could maybe turn into war.

I would 100% go to war for Nene. But at this current moment, all I wanted to do was run away.

"(Y/n)~" she cooed at me, a wicked smile on her face. The hands that were so beautifully decorated with only the finest jewelry graced my shoulders to keep me still. "Are you saying you could be my potential sister-in-law?"

I regretted every decision I made to tell Yashiro Nene about the happenings between Tsukasa and me while we were away. The way her eyes stared down at me with excitement. I was no longer her attendant, well, in her eyes at least. I was her newfound doll to play dress-up with.

I was scared. Shivers crawled up my spine as if to say 'haha, I'm in danger!' "M-mayhaps?" I had answered.

Her grin went wide. "Very well! You shall take classes with me!" her hands went to the sky as she spun around in delight. Confusion filled my features as my heart plummeted. At first, I didn't mind taking classes of any sort, but my fears all came true when Nene spoke next. "You must learn how to manage a household."

"N-no! No big decisions are being made! I don't see any reason why I have to torture- subject myself to such classes." I rejected her quickly and crossed my arms over my chest.

Nene slumped over in defeat, dramatically falling to her knees, both hands placed gracefully together as she looked up at the sky. "God...please bless my friend. Or so help me I will-"

"Ok! Fine Nene! One class!" I interrupted I looked around to spot the maids of the princess's quarters to be snickering to themselves at her personality quirks.

I would be lying if I said that no one was fond of the princess. They all enjoyed her presence and found it to be amusing that she took no form of drama from anyone. But there was one person she could never seem to escape, the queen of the moon empire herself.

She was always entitled, grumpy, spent money like no one's business, and cared not for the condition of those around her. But she was obsessed with her son Amane. Showing clear favoritism when it came to the crowned prince.

And logically I believe I found out why.

The queen did not approve of Nene being the new empress of the empire. Because she wanted to start a war with the sun kingdom. She wanted full control over the empire, and she would only achieve that with a chosen candidate for Amane himself.

Nene was specifically selected by the Emperor. His word was final. Unchangeable. Never to be corrected. Not in fear of death but in fear of something much worse.

Good thing the Emperor and I were on good terms.

I watched as Nene floated across her room to the bookshelf to see if there was something new she could read. Reminded me fondly of many nights I had spent hidden away in the library with Tsukasa talking about anything we could.

We had just gotten back from our trip yesterday yet I had still missed him.

Nene noticed my sudden quietness. "Thinking about a special someone?" she teased.

My face bloomed a deep red at being exposed. "Quiet you!"
_________________________________
Original release date: Oct. 2nd, 2022.