29 - Unwelcome

Ieiri stayed with you while Gojo went with Ijichi to pick up Megumi. She didn't force you to talk to her about what happened in the trance, but when you had calmed down enough, you told her as much as you could.

After you'd told her everything, she asked about the man who almost killed you.

"What did he look like?"

"He had long, dark hair. That's all I could see, the lights were off."

Ieiri nodded. "And what did he say?"

"He told me to stop messing with the future. He said that I'm messing up his ideal one; the one where I die from Sukuna and the world carries on how it would without me. But if I survive, he told me I'll kill him and all the curses he'll... absorb, I think he said. Including Sukuna."

Shoko's eyes went wide. She froze.

"Impossible..." She muttered.

"What is it? Ieiri-san, do you know who he is?"

"He has the same cursed technique of someone I used to know... but it's not him, he's dead. The man you saw must be someone from his family."

"What's the family name?"

Before she could say anything, you could hear car tyres rolling over the gravel outside. 

They're back.

You ran out of the room and onto the wooden platform overlooking the gardens, cherry blossoms and the black car. Gojo rolled down the window of the passenger seat and said, "Yo, L/n-san, we–"

The car door of the back seat swung open and Megumi got out in a rush. You didn't even notice tears had started falling from your eyes again.

He didn't hesitate to run to you and throw his arms around you. He held you tight, not worrying about Gojo's teasing voice behind him, or Ieiri standing right next to you. 

"Y/n–" He began. His voice was laced with pain, and he couldn't say anything more, gripping the back of your shirt tight.

"I told him you almost died," Gojo said behind him.

"It's ok," You said to him, "I'm alive."

"I'm so sorry, I knew you shouldn't have agreed to this."

"Don't say that. It's important that we know what happens."

He pulled away, eyebrows furrowed over watery eyes.

"You almost died!" He said, raising his voice, "And you didn't get woken up!"

"But Gojo-sensei did wake me up," You told him, trying to calm him down. "It's ok–"

"Not when he should've," Megumi growled, glancing at Gojo.

Gojo sighed, and you looked at him, confused. "Ieiri and I were watching your vitals," He confessed, "We saw your heart rate spike. I decided to keep you in the trance, anyway."

"As you should've," You said, "A high heart rate could mean anything. You had no way of telling what was happening."

Megumi sighed, realising you were right. "Y/n, tell me everything."

–––––

Megumi listened closely to what you had to say, putting a hand on yours, rubbing his thumb over your skin in gentle circles to keep you calm. Gojo and Ieiri, who were sitting on the embroidered green couch opposite you both, listened in too. 

Halfway through talking, someone walked into the room. You turned your head to see a bald man with thick, long eyebrows, a goatee and several piercings approach the chairs, clutching a wooden cane.