ᴅᴇᴀᴅ, ʟᴏꜱᴛ ᴏʀ ʜᴏᴏᴋɪɴɢ ᴜᴘ?

After a few hours, Enid woke up to a cold hand, shaking her arm to wake her. As she opened her eyes, she looked up to see Vern, standing over her with the gun pointed straight at her. She felt Chris' arm across her still.

Enid: Verno, get that thing out my face, asshole.

Vern: Sorry!

He dropped the gun next to her, not a single thought in his head and no regard to anyone's safety. She sighed and rubbed her eyes open before grabbing the gun and walking up the small slope to sit by the tree, careful not to wake anyone up.

For an hour, nothing happened. A few leaves blowing startled her, but that was all. No sign of coyotes, screaming people or Ray's ghost. That was, until, she heard the snapping of twigs shortly in the distance. Enid immediately got to her feet, both hands gripping the gun and pointing it in front of her as she slowly and quietly took off into the woods, ready to kill whatever was out there before it killed her friends.

"What did I tell you, Enid?" she heard behind her, once she'd found herself in the middle of nowhere and the campfire out of sight. She jumped, turning rapidly and gasping when she saw nothing but more trees. 
She told herself it was the wind, whistling. However, the air was still and the voice was familiar.

"You lied to me. You told me you were with Betty." the voice beamed sternly. Expecting to see her big brother, she turned again, her finger on the trigger. However, she knew she couldn't shoot her brother, if he really was there.

Enid: Ace?

She whispered, frightened and feeling as if she was going to choke on her own heartbeat. The first time, she thought it was in her head, but the snapping branches around the area made her doubtful. She wondered whether Ace had followed her all the way out there, ready to catch her out on a lie, or whether it was in her head.

She swallowed her fear and walked towards the sound of the snapping twigs, hoping it'd somehow take her back to camp.

Everything had turned quiet for a small while, though she was still full of dread that Ace was winding her up, hiding around the woods and waiting for his moment to strike. It seemed like a stupid joke him and his friends would pull on Enid and her friends.

She felt a cold hand on her arm, gently but taking her by surprise. She spun around, gasping and jumping back slightly, pushing the hand away and pointing the gun in front of her.

Enid: Ace?

She heard a match being struck, held in front of and revealing Chris' face. He was smiling, but he looked confused.

Chris: It's me.

Enid: Shit- don't do that again! You scared me.

He chuckled, throwing his hands up in defeat as she lowered the gun and tucked it in her waistband.

Chris: I'm sorry! Why would it be Ace?

Enid: It doesn't matter. What're you doin' all the way out here?

Chris: I woke up and you'd gone so I went looking for you. What're you doin' all the way out here? I thought something happened, idiot.