ʜɪᴛᴄʜʜɪᴋᴇ?

The five had continued down the tracks until Castle Rock was a few miles behind them.

Vern: What d'we need a pistol for anyway?

Chris: It's spooky sleeping out in the woods. What if we see a bear?

Teddy: Or a garbage can.

Enid chuckled, although she almost never understood Teddy's jokes. Everyone's minds worked differently, of course, but Teddy's head was in a whole other world to everyone else's.

The group fell to a stop on the tracks, looking onwards at them as they seemed to stretch out for miles and never ended.

Enid: Jesus.

Teddy: How far d'you think it's gonna be?

Chris: If we follow the tracks way into Harlow, it should be about 20 miles. Sound right to you, Gordie?

Gordie: Yeah... might even be 30.

Vern: Jeez, maybe we should hitchhike? 

Teddy: No way, that sucks!

Enid: Yeah. Besides, Verno, who's gonna be driving down here? We're way outta Castle Rock now. 

The boy shrugged, following his friends as the journey continued. 

While the group walked in single file, balancing childishly on the edge of the tracks as they sang, Enid walked on the ground, kicking the dust beneath her feet as her mind seemed completely swamped. 

Never had she been so scared of her brother finding her, all the way of town and on her way to take a dead body. Enid just dreaded to think what he'd do if he found them. She knew for a fact that he'd kill her friends. However, she knew that if he didn't kill her, by chance, he'd never speak to her again. She'd be dead to him. 

Enid did love her brother, which was why she always felt so guilty for sometimes wishing he'd disappear. He was her big brother, which meant that when he did have her back and gave a shit about her, they got on well. Even though she loved him, she sometimes wondered whether her life would be much more peaceful without him. 

Enid: **He'll kill them. He'll use his knife, or he'll hit them with his dumb car, or he'll tie them to the tracks. He'll m-**

Chris tapped Enid's arm, snapping her out of her thoughts and gaining her attention. 

Chris: You alright? You look a little down?

His tone was that of a serious one, as if he truly cared. That always reassured Enid Merrill. 
She often convinced herself that nobody truly gave a shit about her. She didn't care about herself, Ace only cared about her when he felt like it, her mom couldn't have given less of a shit about her, and her dad... if he did care about Enid or Ace, he wouldn't have done what he did that summer. 

However, Chris did care. He cared for Enid more than anybody else in the world and always had, ever since the 3rd grade when they met.