Chapter 11 Part 1

Chapter 11

Present

            Peggy's eyes are red from crying but she tries to act as if this waiting game isn't killing her. She's wearing a smile, but I saw the way her breath caught when she walked into the room to find her son Jackson and I lying together on the hospital bed. I can only imagine, from the worry I see in her eyes, how hard it must be for her to sit helplessly in the waiting room.

            "Hey, Mom. Come in." Jackson waves her in from his position next to me. "Have a seat." The chair, which has been a resting place for all of the important people in our lives, is sitting empty near the bed. 

            "You look so cute up there together. It makes me feel a little better knowing that at least you two are doing okay. I should have known you'd find comfort in each other." Her eyes are brighter now and her cheeks have regained a little color. She sits down beside us and reaches out to take my hand.

            "I'm sorry they're being so strict about the visitors. I wish you could all come back here with us," I say as I take her hand in mine.

            She's already waving away my words with her free hand. "Don't be silly. We're fine out there. There isn't enough room here for all those people anyway—the waiting room is packed."  

            "Did you stop by the house to drop off your stuff?" Jackson asks. His mother is very independent, but he still tries to take care of her. He loves it when she's around and was very excited when she agreed to fly in and stay for a little while to help us.

            "Yes. I had the driver take me over so I could leave my bags and see if there was anything that needed to be done." I guess it's fair to say that she likes to take care of him as much as he looks out for her. "Of course, everything was already in order, but it gave me something else to worry about for a little while." I hear the emotion in her throat, but she manages to swallow it and raise her lips in a small smile.

            "Maddy's done a good job keeping everything on track," Jackson says proudly, playing with a strand of hair that has slipped across my forehead.   

            Peggy squeezes my hand. "She sure has. You both have, and you certainly don't deserve this. But I guess everything happens for a reason." A tear trickles down her cheek and she wipes it from her face. Watching her try to be brave for us makes my chin tremble and my eyes begin to sting.

            "Come on, ladies," Jackson teases, "I can't take both of you crying at the same time. It breaks my heart." We both laugh at the truth of his words. He really does hate it when we cry. "Everything is going to be fine. In a few days we'll be back home and talking about how grateful we are for our own bed and comfy chairs for our visitors."

            Janie, the nice nurse from earlier, pops her head in and points to the beeping monitor. "I just need to check on everything." She takes a step inside the room but waits for us to invite her in further. I nod my head and turn my focus to the flashing numbers. 

            "Is the doctor here yet?" I ask as she steps closer to us.

            "No, not yet. She's just across the parking lot. It's not unlike her to run over during her lunch break to check on her patients. Is there something you need?" She is jotting down notes and printing out some data.

            "Just anxious to hear what she has to say." I look down to where my fingers are threaded with Jackson's. He offers me a tight smile and then brings our hands up to his mouth for a kiss.

            "Relax, Rookie. Worrying right now isn't going to help." His hand is gentle as he brushes his fingers across my head again and then lightly down my cheek. "Only a little longer now." I nod my head, but don't miss the way his mother dabs at her eyes with a tissue.

            Something doesn't feel quite right as we watch the nurse pressing buttons. She holds the long printout in front of her and then makes her way over to the edge of the bed. I don't like the feeling that has settled low in my stomach. Something is wrong—I can see it in her face.

            "I'm going to call the doctor now."

            Jackson speaks up first. "What's wrong?" I can see the tick in his jaw that tells me he's as worried now as I am.

            "Blood pressure is high again. Also, there is some evidence that we're not moving in the direction the doctor was hoping for. I'm going to step out and get her caught up on what's going on and then I'll be back to let you know what she says." She smiles at us and makes her way toward the door. Just before she leaves she turns and looks at Peggy. "If there is anyone else that wants to come in, they should do it now. I think we might be running out of time."

            I clamp my eyes closed and feel my heart slam inside my chest. Peggy just nods her head and gives my hand a reassuring squeeze. She leans over and kisses Jackson on the cheek. "I'm going to go get her father."

***Getting close to the end! Please remember to vote and comment*****