Chapter 5 Part 2

****I LOVE all the comments!! Please keep leaving your thoughts at the end of each chapter. Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed it!************

May 2013

The grass is damp from the sprinklers, and I bend down to roll the cuffs on the sweatpants I'm wearing-a worn old pair of Jackson's tied tight at my waist-so they won't drag on the wet ground. He'll be with his agent and the reporters for a few more hours and I could use a moment to myself up on the roof, away from the chaos. I'm dressed far more reasonably then I was the night that Jackson and I met, I remember with a smile.

The old wooden trellis creaks beneath my Mary Janes as I pull myself higher and higher, eager to get to my little hiding place at the top. When my foot finally touches down on the rocky surface of the rooftop, a familiar peace washes over me. I stand for a minute with my eyes closed and tip my face to the sky, breathing in the chilly night air.

I make my way over to my favorite spot in the corner by the skylight, and it only takes about three steps for me to see the blanket that's been laid out for me. Jackson must have known how stressed I was this week, thinking of all the faraway places his NFL contract could take him. The blanket is light blue and yellow, the colors of our college team, and the serious and yet playful faces of the bears call to me to come and sit. An extra blanket is folded and placed on top of a large fluffy pillow and I feel my chest tighten with the love I have for the man who thought to put them there.

I move the blanket carefully, hoping to find a note for old times' sake, and sure enough, a small white envelope falls from between the folds. I make myself wait until I get situated before slipping my finger beneath the flap and opening up the message Jackson has left me.

Maddy,

The first time I was on this roof with you I felt like I was the luckiest man alive. I only got to spend a few hours with you that night, but even then I couldn't imagine walking away from your smile-or your smart mouth. Now that I've spent so much more time with you, I know that I was right. It doesn't matter how far away this draft takes me, my heart will always be where you are.

I want you to live your life and do the things you want to do. I will not let my career get in your way. Then again, I'd give anything to have you with me. If you want to stay and start building a life for us here, I'll make sure you never feel lonely. If you decide that we can't be apart, I'm ready for you to come to me, whenever and wherever I am.

Thank you for putting on a brave face for the cameras and for me. We can get through anything together, Rookie.

I love you,

Jackson

I lose track of how many times I reread the note, or how long I sit there, looking for answers in the stars. A light shines up in the sky and I turn to see where the beam is coming from. The familiar creak of the trellis lets me know that I'm about to have a visitor. I shift onto my side and wait for the tall figure to step over the edge and onto the roof, noticing the way his shiny shoes reflect the light from his flashlight. I laugh when he tips his head back just the way I did and sucks in a large breath.

"I thought I was never going to get away." Jackson's deep voice rumbles through the air around us. He shines his light in my direction and I pat the blanket beside me.

"You found me."

"I always will," he answers, the light from the skylight making his features visible as he approaches. Even in the fluorescent yellow glow, he is amazingly handsome. His dress shirt is rolled up at the sleeves, showing off his strong, tan forearms. It's still tucked into his dark slacks, and while I love the way his jeans always hang low on his hips, these pants are fit to his form and showcase every firm muscle of his butt and thighs. He catches me staring and raises an eyebrow before kicking off his shoes next to mine and sitting down beside me.