Chapter 6 Part 1

***Please remember to vote and comment. I will be posting this entire chapter today in honor of May being Maternal Mental Health Month. Please read my notes at the bottom of Chapter 6 Part 2.****

Chapter 6

Present

            I feel myself drifting in and out of consciousness as Abby paints a second coat on my nails and then lovingly blows on each one to help them dry. She is the best friend I have ever had and we have shared so much this past year that I honestly don't know what I would do without her. I smile down at her as she blows lightly on my thumb.

            To a stranger we might look like two friends, or maybe even sisters, sharing a moment, but no one could ever guess the real story. It hasn't been an easy year for Abby and my heart breaks every time I think of what she's been going through. 

 I hear the clearing of a throat at the door to the private hospital room. I can't help but smile when I see Kyle standing just inside, the bright light from the hallway casting his face in shadow. He isn't looking at me, of course. His eyes are trained on his beautiful wife as she hunches over my hand and gently wipes a smudge of pink from the skin beside my pinky finger.

            "Hey, Kyle." I motion for him to come in. Abby turns and offers him a welcoming expression, as well.

            "I was just checking in on Abby and wanted to see how you were doing." He moves closer to the bed and glances at Jackson before looking back to me.

            "I'm doing okay, I guess. How was your flight?" I can't believe I forgot to ask Abby about her trip here earlier. I guess being awake for a few days really messes with your manners.

            Kyle puts a hand on Abby's shoulder and she reaches up to grasp it. His voice is low, almost a whisper now that he's closer. "It was good. It's been too long since we made the trip." Abby smiles up at him, but I can see the way her lip quivers slightly before she traps it with her teeth. 

            "I'm going to use the bathroom and grab some coffee." Abby stands and squeezes my hand above the bright pink polish. "I'll be back in a little bit." I can see the tears shimmer in her eyes before she ducks her chin and turns to leave the room.

Kyle and I wait until she is out of sight before we each let out a big breath.

            "I'm sorry, Kyle. Maybe you guys shouldn't have come. It's too soon." I can't look him in the face, but from the corner of my eye I see him shaking his head before he sits in the seat Abby vacated.

            "She needed to get out. This is good for her. We've been so wrapped up in our troubles we haven't done anything for us in a long time. It was nice to have my wife back for the flight." He leans forward and rests his elbows on his knees.

            "I hope it helps. This must be difficult."

            "She wouldn't miss it. Hospitals might not be her favorite thing, but she needs to be here for both of you right now." He closes his eyes and fiddles with his wedding ring. "I didn't ever get to thank you for being there with us. I was in shock—I had no idea how to help her. Everything I did felt so fucking insignificant. Having you there helped more than anything I could have done." I can hear the tightening of his throat.

            "You did everything you could. I would never have let her—either of you—go through that without a friend." My own throat constricts. I clear it softly. "One day, she is going to make an amazing mother." It's so true. I will never understand why she had to endure what she did.

            "That's the thing. She already is, because motherhood starts the day you open your heart to the idea. It'll happen for us when it's time." There is pain in his face as he stands up to leave. "You can get through this, Maddy. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that we're all a lot stronger than we realize." I close my eyes and feel a hot tear escape and run down my cheek.

            "Thank you."

***Please vote and leave a comment***