Chapter 10 Part 1

Chapter 10

Present

            I smell the lovingly familiar scent of Aunt Gwen's perfume even before she glides though the doorway and into our hospital room. She's dressed impeccably, making me wonder where she's coming from, or where she might be going next in her fancy outfit. She looks a little stunned when she sees all of the medical equipment, but manages to shake it off and soften her features as she draws near the bed.

"I told those men out there it was my turn." She holds her chin up as if she's won a great victory.

            "Come in and sit down, Aunt Gwen. It's wonderful to see you." I reach my arms up and she gives me a warm, tender hug. I know I'm not imagining it when she holds me a little longer than usual. I don't mind. I'll take all the comfort that is offered to me. 

            "I won't stay too long. I just wanted to come in and tell you I'm praying for you two. I know if Isabel were still alive she'd be pacing the floor with worry. I figured I should come and make sure she was fairly represented." She chuckles softly as she settles into a chair and my heart feels warm and full with the mention of my mother. I often wonder what she'd be like now that her children are all grown.

            I like to think that she would still be a powerful woman in the charity world. Her charity did a lot for single mothers and their children, and I was only too happy to take over for her this past year when my father and Jackson encouraged me to continue her work. For the past few months I have felt closer to my mother than I have in a long time, getting acquainted with a part of her I never knew. My soul seems to dance when I find little notes she scribbled on pieces of paper, reminding her of what worked and what didn't, or who was a good contact at a company she used for an event. 

            "You look great," I say, sitting up straighter so that we can talk. I'm starting to feel a little hot so I carefully wipe at my forehead, trying not to draw attention to myself. "Where are you headed?"

            "I think seeing you two is occasion enough to dress up, don't you?" She brushes her hand down her colorful blouse, smoothing out the imaginary wrinkles.  Jackson nods agreeably but I give her my skeptical face, to which she sighs long and heavy.

            "Okay, you got me. I'm meeting a man from the church to talk about starting a group for the older members. Do you think I've overdone it?" Her forehead pinches as she glances down at her clothes. I hope I haven't made her nervous.

            "No, you haven't overdone it. You look fresh and put together—so pretty.  I'm sure he will appreciate it." I love the idea that she might be getting back out there and meeting people her age. 

            She smiles at me and I see some of the same features I remember seeing when I looked at my mother, but then her face clouds and she reaches a hand out to each of us.

"I'm so sorry for everything the two of you have been through these last few months."

            "Thank you, Aunt Gwen. That means a lot," Jackson answers. 

            "Jackson, I just couldn't believe it when I saw what happened to you. I mean, I knew your line of work was not the safest, but never did I see that coming." Aunt Gwen pulls her hands back into her lap, wringing them anxiously. My stomach still plunges with the memory of that awful moment.

            "Neither did we, but we'll get through it. That's what we do." He reaches for my hand and squeezes it and I nod in agreement.

            Aunt Gwen clears her throat and looks around the room. "You know, I still can't be in a hospital without thinking of your mother." Her eyes cast down to the floor before she opens her hands and runs them along the front of her skirt.

            It's definitely something that's been on my mind, but I've avoided mentioning it to my brothers and my father. I don't need to do that for my aunt. She's experienced a lot of loss in her life and has learned how to live with grief. "It makes me think of her, too." I study the tiny flowers on the wallpaper, wondering if the cheerful pattern is meant to hide the fact that death happens in this place. Aunt Gwen just nods her head and tries to smile.

            "Your mother put up a good fight here. Maybe a little bit of her strength has been left inside these walls for just this moment. I know she's here with you." She reaches out and pats my cheek. "She'd be so proud of you, Madeline."

            "I think she's right, Maddy," Jackson says. "We both know someone has been watching over us."