68 Don't Rock the Boat + A Recap from Two Dudes I've Missed

Hi, loves! It's been so long! I'm sorry for the delay and that this chapter isn't that long. I've been dealing with stressful and important adult stuff, and it just completely sapped any desire I had to write. I was able to keep updating Claus because those chapters are already completed. Since it's been a while, I wanted to give you a quick recap presented to you by Tobias and Bently.

Tobias: For some reason we were asked to do this recap even though we aren't on Amoria nor do we have any idea what's going on.

Bently: She clearly asked us because we have winning personalties.

Tobias: Then why does my sister keep beating you in cards?

Bently: Ignore him. The last time we saw our cast of losers that call themselves heroes, they were fleeing from the watery palace of Gadfrie. Erik and his friends—

Tobias: I can't believe he has friends.

Bently: Are taking a swim—possibly with sharks.

Tobias: And Percy, Colton, Iris, Vienna, and Ean are dragging my actually nice cousin Jonas through a dark creepy tunnel.

Bently: Erik beat the Head Preeminence to within an inch of his life—

Tobias: That's not even remotely accurate.

Bently: And now he must make sure Andrew and Basile can get to the rest of the Earthers . . . Earthians . . . Earthites? The people who exude earthiness.

Tobias: But how are they supposed to get home when the Head Order doesn't want to let Jonas and Iris go? And will Jonas even want to leave until he's reclaimed his title?

Bently: Rydersin will probably help them get home.

Tobias: You weren't supposed to say that. I only asked the question for dramatic effect.

I don't know why I said it would be quick . . .

Jonas~~

I open my eyes to a waxed wooden ceiling too close to my face. I inhale sharply, pain rising in me. A throbbing in my head surfaces to the front of my mind, and I squint, bringing my hand to my neck where my muscles strain against any movement.

Something hits the ground with a clang. "You're awake."

As I turn toward the voice, my face contorts into a grimace as the muscles in my neck stretch and the throbbing in my head intensifies. Iris stands at the edge of the bed. Behind her is an empty chair where a plate lies overturned on the ground, something yellow and wet seeping around the edges.

"Where are we?" My throat aches, and my voice sounds off. "The Order?"

She kneels, resting her arms on the mattress. "Ean got us out. We're safe. How are . . . Is your head . . . okay? We're about certain you've got a concussion."

"Really?" I move my hand up from my neck to my head and feel around for any tender spots. I've never had a concussion before. Surprising, considering how much I get knocked out. Not doing sports though kept me—for the most part—out of the path of any flyaway balls. As my fingers find the source of the pain on my forehead, I grit my teeth, fingers curling.

She grabs my hand, pulling it from my head, and threads her fingers through mine. "I don't know if you remember but you took a nasty fall."

I search through my last memories but "It's fuzzy." I pause, unsure what needs to be done. "Help me stand?"

Nodding, she tucks her arm behind my back and pushes me forward on the bed. At once there's surge of dizziness, but after it passes all that's left is fatigue.

She helps me through the door and into a dimly lit room. There are no windows here, nor were there any in the room I woke up in. At least I don't think there were. The floor rocks under my feet, and I can't stand straight without Iris's help. My concussion may be worse than I thought.

Ean, Colton, Percy, and Vienna sit at a table that's built into the wall. On one end of it, three empty stools appear to be screwed into the floor.

I try pressing my feet firmly into the ground, as if that will stop me from toppling over.

Seated beside Ean, Percy stands up, stretching out an arm toward me. I must really not look good. "About twelve hours," he says, taking a step toward me.

"Where are we?"

"A boat. On our way to Acquaellia."

A boat. That explains the unstable ground. "Rydersin's agreed to help us home?"

My question is met with silence until Iris slides her hand along my back, coming around to face me. She takes my hand in hers. "If that's what you wish. We didn't know if you were ready to..."

"We're going home." I squeeze her hand, imagining it's enough to keep me from falling over though I know I would end up bringing her down with me if I fell.

Colton bows his head. "I'm sorry, khaleedi. I know you tried—"

"I will not be conceding my title." I let go of Iris's hand before I squeeze too hard to hurt her.

Percy's eyes widen as Colton pops his head up.

"Jonas," my cousin starts.

"I will not let Borilia win. Nor will I let them order us around as if we are their children. I've tried to reason with them. I can't any longer."

Slowly almost methodically, Ean lays his hand flat on the table. "Are you prepared for the consequences?"

"They'll be at a disadvantage if they choose to attack, and they won't be able to keep themselves from exposing what they are to the rest of Earth. They'll lose. And they know it."

Colton slides his arm around Vienna, pulling her closer. "So your oldest will be Preeminence?"

"No. Gwen's will be. That is the deal that was struck"—I arch a brow, and Colton visibly swallows, shifting beside Vienna—"and I intend to hold to it."

"Even as you stop enforcing," he has trouble getting the words out, "Expiration Dates?"

I hold his stare.

"If you get rid of them, what is the point in obeying Amoria at all?"

"The hope is for them not to attack. I'd rather not tick them off on all fronts. But if they do attack us, that's a different story and perhaps we will decide to forfeit all their rules."

Ean's phone on the table vibrates. "It's Elisana." At the mention of her name, apprehension builds in me. "She says they'll be in Acquaellia soon."

"The Orders?" I ask.

"Your cousins."

"Andrew?"

He nods.

I sink down onto a stool, my legs grateful to no longer have to hold my balance. "I'm still stuck on the point that it's your cousin helping them."

Colton snorts. "You didn't catch your cousin and his cousin feeling each other up when we were supposed to be looking for you."

Percy clears his throat before he shoots Colton a scathing glare. "Jonas is okay."

"Now he is," Colton says at the same time Vienna asks, "Did you forget about the concussion?"

I hold up my hand, silencing them. "If my beloved cousin would rather kiss a pretty girl than save me, I understand."

Percy doesn't look amused. "How magnanimous. Are you sure about that?"

"Yes."

"Really?" he deadpans.

"Of course."

"That's certainly a relief because you don't at all look like you want to drag me into a dark, dark alley and leave me for some kind-hearted soul to save." His voice gets lower with each word.

I tilt my head and offer him a smile. "Then lucky for you we're on a ship. There aren't alleys."