27 Humans and Amoris

Hello! I know it's been a long time. That's because I've been trying to get my work taken off of Novel HD, Web novel, and now Soo books. Novel HD took Exposed and seems to be taking the chapters as soon as I post them. But they haven't taken Chapter 26 yet, so since it's been so long, I wanted to go ahead and post the next update and hope that the issue with them will be resolved soon.

The music for the dance in this chapter is inspired by They're Only Human from Death Note: The Musical. I listen to three different versions, so before the dance in the chapter, I'll link the English version, but below are the Japanese and Korean versions.

Japanese

Korean

Colton~~

Every damn guest has it in their mind that they want to see, speak with, and prod the Expireds.

         I turn away in disgust, draining a glass of champagne.

The next song begins playing, drawing some of the attention away from my brother and Iris. A small mercy for my nerves now that the risk of someone stabbing them decreases.

Beside me, Percy watches Elisana from where she stands next to her father. Before the ball, I drilled into him that he shouldn't dance with the Tresais's daughter tonight. She needs to be considered the enemy. He doesn't need to get himself attached; especially when his would-be father-in-law wants Jonas punished.

         Vienna comes up to me, two glasses of champagne in hand. She offers one to me, and as I accept it, she says, "You look like you could use it."

         "Am I hiding it that poorly?" The Death Waltz. Stars. I rake a hand through my hair only for my fingers to snag on my laurel wreath. I let out a hiss in frustration.

         Frowning, Vienna hands me her champagne and reaches up to adjust my crown, her fingers tugging gently at my hair. "I'm sure you're doing a spectacular job; it's just that you can't hide it from me."

         I want to talk to him. I want to make sure they're both all right.

         Thinking that not long ago I was prepared to take my brother's throne and kill Iris makes my blood run cold.

         "Beta."

         I turn from Vienna to find Preeminence Moretti approaching.

         "Preeminence," we both say, giving him an equally stiff bow and curtsey.

         "Might I have a word with you?"

         I glance at Vienna.

         She nods. "I'll be fine."

         I return her glass of champagneONLYONWATTPADBENDERand follow Moretti to a set of curtains he draws back revealing a small alcove with only a couch barely large enough for two and a floor candelabra.

         Did Alastair ever have one of his famous escapades in here?

         I try not to grimace, thinking of how filthy this room might be.