51 Curtains

Erik~~

         I ingest none of the words my eyes read over from left to right and top to bottom on the page from some romance novel I stole from Karn's bag. I don't know whether he enjoys the kinds of books or if he's using it as some sort of instruction manual to help him woo Meilin.

I steal a glance at my phone beside me on the couch before I force my attention back to the page in hand. I don't know why I did that. It's not as if my inbox suddenly gained a single solitary message. Nothing has arrived in it since I left for France.

No I miss you, Eriks.

Not even a single I'm so disappointed in you message.

Because they don't care.

I hurt them, and they don't care.

I turn the page even though I have no idea what happened on the previous page, which is okay because I can still get by without knowing. It's become a theme in my life—to not know what's going on around me. After all, they looked me in the eyes and lied to me. Jonas lied. Iris lied. Percy. Colton. And even Vienna. They all lied, and Percy, he . . . fooled me. What's worse is that I understand why they needed to lie, and yet I can't stop the sting of bitterness.

With them all gone but Vienna and Colton, I'm alone in the lounge. Rydersin is off doing important things with her Veil guarding her.

Erik Blackwood. The former Tresais of the Society. Now wasting his days away reading romance novels like he longs for some grand adventure and passion in his life. I scowl, hearing those thoughts in the voices of Society members.

My eyes catch the word bath on the page, but everything else blends together.

I wanted to change the Society, and when I realized that was impossible, I wanted to make them pay for their sins—for hurting people, some I will never know and others I've loved. I thought I was prepared to face the consequences of that choice. I was. But what I wasn't prepared for was that my absence wouldn't be felt when I lost my wager.

An ache creeps up my neck and my throat tightens when I hear a shuffle outside the door followed by Vienna's voice. Quickly, I set the book on the end table and stand moving toward the windows where long, thick curtains are pulled back, revealing a sparkling lake in the distance. I slip behind the burgundy material of one just as the door opens.

"Thank you for agreeing to hear me out," Vienna says, her voice steady.

"We may not have agreed to your request, but we would hate to be seen as discourteous." I recognize the voice as belonging to the Beta, Carlisle.

"But." That one word sends goosebumpsONLYONWATTPADBENDERrunning down my arms and my stomach twisting into a particularly petite pretzel. "We will not change our minds." Rydersin's father.

"I understand, Preeminence." Vienna still sounds calm, and I hear soft slippered footsteps that I imagine are hers. "Though you cannot fault me for needing to try."

There's the trickle of liquid being poured followed by the soft clink of something that must be made of glass.

"Go on." The Preeminence sounds entirely disinterested.

"You wish for Beta Blackwood and I to leave."

A pause. "How could I ever deny lodging to such distinguished guests?"

Vienna makes no comment regarding that. "I do not know why Preeminence Moretti agreed to mine and Beta Blackwood's request." That must be a lie. The Head Preeminence must have given them something even if that might have been a lie. "But what I do know is that he and you do not see eye to eye. I have spent years with the Society." In my head I can picture Vienna dragging her finger along the fireplace mantel, her focus on her hand and not whichever Order members are gathered. "They adore Gwen, and denying our request will be seen by the Society as you snubbing both their Tresais and Beta.

"You may not think of Elleany often." I imagine she turns now and faces them. "It's rather far away. But, Preeminence, I can assure you, the Society would rather go to war than allow themselves to be walked over."

"Is that a threat?" The Preeminence's voice has chilled.

"Merely a warning from someone who has faced the Society's wrath. They do not need weapons to make one regret their choices."

"Truly, that sounds like a threat, Ms. Rosen."

"I am not in the business of delivering threats, Preeminence."

"Then what do you wish to tell us?"

"Only that Beta Blackwood has no plans to leave Amoria until our request is accepted."

I'm certain Rydersin's father is working his jaw, turning over all that Vienna has said. "He is Beta, and if his brother fails to gain the acceptance of all Orders, then he will be Preeminence. He cannot remain."

"It's a good thing Gwen is so capable then. Is it not?" There's a pause followed by a light sigh. "That is all I wished to say. I thank you for hearing me out, Order."

There are footsteps before a door closes.

It's approximately a minute later that glass shatters as I presume the Preeminence throws his drink against the wall. "The insolent—"

"Just allow their request, Cormac." I don't recognize the Order member's voice. "The sooner you do, the sooner we can move on. Isn't Rydersin more pressing?"

"You all have already sided with her." He's delaying the vote because he knows he'll lose. I resist the urge to curl my hands. The slightest movement risks giving myself away. "Get someone to clean up this mess." The door slams.

It's a few minutes later when the rest of the present members of the Order leave. I step out from behind the curtain and pick up the book.

"That's Karn's."

I whirl, facing the window. Meilin and Xiaozhi stand beside two of the curtains.

"You were spying on me?"

Xiaozhi tilts her head. "We were not the only ones spying."

"Did Rydersin tell you to?"

"No." Meilin crosses her arms. "If you wish to get closer to Rydersin, we had to know what you're like alone."

"Apparently pretty boring," Xiaozhi says.

I grit my teeth. "I hope that means I passed the test."

"We also wanted to make sure you were okay." Xiaozhi rubs her arm. "That the Preeminence left you alone."

"Was that Rydersin's order?"

"Again no." Meilin's eyes narrow. "That was mine and my sister's choice. We wanted to."

"And why would you want to?"

Xiaozhi frowns, stepping away from the curtain. "Because we worried for you."

What are your romance book recommendations for Karn?