39 The Wedding

You voted and I listened.

Jonas~~

"You're beautiful."

            Iris turns from the bathroom sink as she fastens her last earring. She wears the only dress we were able to find in her size that was a light purple, the color of wedding dresses on Amoria, the shade a symbol for beginnings. The hem at the front hangs just above her knees, the back falls just below. On Earth her dress came to the floor.

            The door frame between the bedroom and the bath supports me as I lean against it.

That night after we decided to not wait to get married, Iris and I found a town in Acquaellia with a church and was located between an airport and the Preeminence's home. I managed to get someone from the church on the phone and while Iris booked the inn, I reached out to a man who does wedding marks whose contact info the church gave me. It's surprisingly easy to plan a wedding when the only guests are the bride and groom.

            "Your tie." She runs her hand over the plum-colored fabric. "You brought it."

            "I didn't know if I'd ever make it back to Earth." The tie from what was supposed to be our wedding day in Elleany suddenly feels heavy. "I wanted to remember."

            She places her hands on my cheeks, pulling me down and pressing her lips to mine. "Is everything ready?"

            "If you are."

            "Almost. If you could . . ." She turns showing me the back of her dress where the two buttons at the collar are unfastened. After I button them, I press a kiss against her bare shoulder and slide my hand into hers.

I lead her out of our room and into the hallway of the small inn. None of the guests pay us any attention as we walk downstairs to the first floor, not knowing we're raggioets even if Iris's arms are bare, her Mark fully exposed, or that I am—or was—a Preeminence. And if they haven't realized we're Expired than they don't know we're not even Amorian.

            A couple of the guests are eating at a wooden table near the large hearth where no fire burns. The inn is made of cobblestone, inside and out, and without the fire the only light comes through the few windows and a wrought iron chandelier overhead decorated with bright green garland.

            Not only is it the only inn in town but it's the only place to buy a meal.

I hold open the door for Iris and she steps out onto the cream-colored dirt path.

The town is tucked within a forest, and there aren't any roads for vehicles, so getting here meant making a two-mile hike. In this part of the town, the trees don't grow too close together, and there's room for grass between the pathways.

Two creeks twist through the town, and we cross over a wooden bridge that's only a few feet in length on our way to the chapel. As the creek burbles beneath us, birds chirp from up in the trees.

This is a place where all you need to do is take a walk to be filled with peace.

            Our path cuts through the farmers market comprised of four stalls. Scents of cinnamon and baked bread waft through the air.

            Soon after we come to the chapel made of cobblestone like most of the buildings. Over the arched door, instead of a rose window, there's a flame cut out of the stone. I've seen in pictures of other churches in Amoria that when the sun hits it at the right angle, the flame looks real and becomes a light inside the chapel.