37 Won't Be Disgraced

Erik~~

When I open my eyes, the room spins in loops as if it's me moving in oval patterns over and over again. As my vision begins to focus, the floors become made of cream-colored stone, and the walls are made of something slightly smoother like a chocolate bar but with nuts buried underneath. Amber orange light encompasses the space, and three men lean against the walls on the other end of the room. They're all dressed in slacks with the sleeves of their shirts rolled up.

It's then I become aware it's hot; sweat drips down the back of my neck. There's an ache in my head that's pounds against my forehead and sides of my lower head, near my neck, and my arms, pulled behind the back of a chair, are sore.

         "Where—" Speech fails me, my mouth tasting as if cotton was shoved in it.

         One of the men walks forward, his skin a darker shade of umber than Rydersin's but close. And if I stare hard enough, his aquiline nose comes into focus, and it rather seems like Rydersin's. I snort and the man's eyes narrow. Aquiline, Acquaellia. I frown. Well maybe they aren't that close in sound. But it was funny for a second.

         The man placesONLYONWATTPADBENDERa hand on the back of my chair—though it's probably actually his chair—and crouches down in front of me.

         His arm running alongside me is very muscley.

         "Do you have anything you'd like to say for yourself?"

         I squint, trying to sort out what he's asking. "I'm going to need help here. You see, when I led a rebel revolt against my family, I was only following my beliefs, and ever since I was exported, I've found drinking and sleeping around don't feel that bad." I think that should cover most things he could be referring to.

         The man straightens. "And have you slept with my daughter?" His tone is chilling.

         I blink, tilting my head. Whatever they used to keep me under still lingers over my mind like a fog. "Everyone I've ever slept with has been a daughter to someone so you're going to have to be more specific."

         "Rydersin, have you slept with Rydersin?"

         "Ohhhh. So you are daddy Preeminence."

         His eyes narrow.

         "Nothing's happened between us. But you did make a gorgeous daughter. I applaud you for that."

         The room feels like it spins again, and I close my eyes.

         "Would my daughter care if something were to happen to you?"

         The two other men come forward.

         "Well, you can't kill me so what were you thinking?"

         "You take a long time to answer my questions, Erik."

         "So you have heard of me."

         "Undici," the Preeminence says, and the man on his right comes along beside him. "Has there been any word on my daughter?"

         "You're the Undici?" I stare up at the man. "Did you know I know an Undici too? His name's Tobias. He's my cousin. Really cool dude. He was in France too for some reason." I frown. "Do you know why he was in France?"

         The man opens his mouth.

         "Oh right. Diplomatic relations." I swing my head to look at the Preeminence, my neck feeling heavy. "Kidnapping Elleany's former Beta's son isn't very diplomatic of you."

         "Douze, how long until the drugs wear off?"

         The other man shrugs. He's shorter than both of them, though he's still pretty far away so that might not actually be the case. "It's hard to say."

         "Anyway." I wiggle in the seat, but my hands are tied fast and keep me from going anywhere. "If you think holding me hostage in some crypt is going to make your daughter give up on her mission, you don't know her at all."

         He looks miffed I called this place a crypt. "And you do?"

         My body feels heavy. "I'd like to."

         The Preeminence sniffs. "Undici?"

         "Our spies say she's looking for him."

         I stare up at them. "She is?" No, that's not right. She should be carrying on with her mission. Which was to petition her father's Order . . . and if they're with me, she can't do that. She must know they have me. That's why she's looking for me. If she finds me, she finds them. That makes more sense.

         Her father bends down and grasps my chin between his fingers. "When she bargains for your freedom and you walk out of here, if you ever lay your filthy hands on my daughter, I will personally see to them being cut off."

         "If you cared about her, you'd want her to be theONLYONWATTPADBENDERnext Preeminence. Don't you know she'd be splendid?"

         "It's not the way things are done. I will not be disgraced by my own daughter."

         "You know the old Preeminence of Elleany's daughter took my place as Tresais. Besides for what he considered my complete and utter failure as Tresais, I think he was quite happy for his daughter to have a position in the Order. You might even say proud."

         "My son will become Preeminence."

         "The baby? I think you just like being Preeminence. Have you even bothered asking your Douze and Undici here if they'd like to retire anytime soon? Maybe go to the beach, the mountains, maybe visit Earth? I'm sure Gwen would just love to meet you. Oh, and if you hurry, Alastairi is there too." I laugh. "It could be a party."

         The Preeminence's eyes are cold. "Are you finished speaking?"

         I flash him a smile with teeth. "I'm never finished speaking. It's what I like to think is one of my redeeming qualities."

         Rydersin's father raises his hand, and before I can recoil, he drives his fist into my cheek, my head whipping to the side. As he wipes the back of his hand on his shirt, there's the taste of blood in my mouth.

         "I imagine that must happen to you a lot," he says dryly.

         My head hangs forward. "You would think."

         He signals for the Douze to step forward. "Put him under again."

         "Wait—"

         The Douze jabs a needle into my neck, and the room blurs, until it darkens and I feel like I'm falling.

Happy Holidays from me to you! (PS that's not my house)