Chapter 7- Zuko's Place

A week passed and everything went well. Surprisingly, Toph and Sokka found some good dishes that can be made with the fruit Aang gets. When fruits get tiring, we go down to the market and buy meat. But meat is really expensive so that's not often. Most of the time we just make the best of what we have.
I stretch my back and yawn as I finally get up from my "bed." We really just sleep on the floor on some mattresses in a house, but I don't mind. I sleep comfortably.
Everyone had already gotten up from bed and probably gone to eat or use the bathroom.
I get up and walk around the house and look out the window. The wood floor is cold and hard against my soft feet. I don't see anyone outside, and I don't hear a thing.
The hot sun pierces my skin through the window. The day's kept getting hotter and hotter in Ba Sing Se.
I walk over to a small closet I have and work my way through every clothing. Since I lived in with the Water Benders most of my life, all my clothes are suited for winter.
I do a double check around the house before I change into my swimsuit. Until I could afford to make or buy new clothes, this would have to do for some of the hot summer days.
I creep outside and walk over to our basket of fruits and take a huge bite of an apple. The apple crunches in my mouth and juice squirts from the corners of my mouth. I feel so sloppy, but honey crisps were the best apples.
I finish quickly, not sure what to do afterwards. With everyone here, I always have something to do or think about.
But now my mind is blank and I don't have anything to do.
"Bored?," someone asks.
"Zuko?," I ask.
"Wanted Aang?," he asks.
"No, you're perfect- what? I mean uh, it's fine, haha," I blabber.
"I don't know what to say to that but, I just kinda woke up, where is everyone?," he asks.
"Gone." I answer. "If you just woke up, how come you weren't In-"
"The house? Well, the pond was really calm last night, and we hadn't gone since last week so I decided to go,"
Hmm. "So I guess it's not you who made me sleepy, but the pond,"
"Well, no, probably not. My voice is pretty soothing,"
"HA! Sure, extreme Fire Nation Killer," I laugh.
Then I pause and he stares at me.
"Ironically, yeah, you have a voice that could put a thousand babies to sleep," I finish.
"Hey, I just realized that were finally alone together," he says out of nowhere.
"What is that supposed to mean???," I start to freak out.
"Katara, I'm not going to have sex with you,"
I take a deep breath. "Who said anything about that???!!"
"Katara. I was thinking we could go to my special place."
Panic turns into embarrassment within seconds.
"Yeah, sure, I knew that,"
Zuko stares at me. "Why are you wearing a swimsuit?,"
I forgot that I was. I didn't think anyone else was here. I cover my bare stomach and cross my legs.
"It's warm,"
"No kidding, why don't you put on some nice clothes and we can go. Ones that cover you up. They're guys out here that would love to take advantage of you," he says.
"Now you're freaking me out," I say.
"Katara, you know I would never let that happen,"
But Aang would.
I shake the stupid thought, thank Zuko , and run inside to get some proper clothes on.

---

Wherever Toph, Sokka , and Aang went, they left Appa behind which was considerate. I suppose the journey would be too long to just walk.
Zuko and I sit next to each other awkwardly, but I was tired of awkward. I lay my head gently in his lap and fall asleep. I'm not sure what about Appa makes me fall asleep, or Zuko, but I did.
Zuko wakes me up after what seems like days, and I immediately shiver.
"You s-should have t-told be it would be so c-c-cold!!!," I stammer.
"Didn't want to ruin the surprise. But I brought you your coat because I figured you wouldn't bring it,"
I looked down. I only wore my skirt with the slit and a tank top- all blue.
Zuko pulls out my blue fluffy jacket and places it around my shoulders. I push my hands through the arm holes, and button up the jacket.
"Your favorite place has snow?," I ask.
Zuko stays quiet. "It's beautiful, and full of peace. The fire nation...it was always chaotic. But here, I can be alone and at peace in the beauty and cold."
"Well, you're not alone," I say.
"I know, but you're the only person I'd ever want to bring here."
"Why?"
He helps me off of Appa.
"It gives me 2 beautiful things to look at,"
I turn red, but doubt it was noticeable through the red cold cheeks and nose. We walk around in the snow and catch the snowflakes on out tongues. We make snow angels and chase each other and bend together.
I make air statues with the melted snow and Zuko slides around on an ice piece he found.
"I'm glad I brought you," he finally says.
"I'm glad I came. This was so much fun,"
"I..." I start to say something, but sneeze loudly instead.
Zuko pulls me Into his coat tightly.
"I don't want you to get a cold!," he says.
"I'm fine," I try to push away but he doesn't budge. So instead, I move my head out of his chest and look up at him.
He looks down at me.
We're so close I can feel his warm breath and the electricity pumping through us every time we touch.
His eyes are so full of passion and his heart beats intensely fast. Our eyes stay locked for the longest of time.
"You are..." He starts
"I'm what?"
But before I can say anything else,
He leans in to kiss me.