Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Battle Before the Gates

I felt utterly useless as I watched them prepare for the single combat. I tried to cross to Melwas, who had picked herself from the floor, and taken her place behind Palomides, but Merlin held me back.

'No, no, lord of the lake,' he said in my ear. 'Simply remember: as soon as I have my spear you will forget all this, and your life will be most pleasant.'

Hermann the Sessite had shed most of his furs, and was picking his hairy nose while he waited for his young opponent. He examined his finger and rolled what he found there into a ball, which he flicked towards his men. Mordred, Piers and Aglinda were around Alisander. Mordred was kneeling before the boy, talking to him very calmly. Every few moments Alisander nodded to indicate he understood. Aglinda's hand gripped the stained cloth of her friend's undershirt. She was utterly distraught. But the brave boy paid no heed to her, concentrating only on Mordred's words.

Behind them, Iseult and Queen Melody had come together. Elia was pacing around beneath the gates, scuffing up dust and singing snatches from different songs. She made them seamlessly transition into each other, as if they'd been the same song all along:

Thus actor of Athens he saw not her lies

As she took out her knife and put out his eyes

With an M and an A and an R and a K-o

That's blind King Mark of TintagHell-o

Eyes look on masks

And thrill in deceit

Eyes behind masks

At TintagHell-o

Something occurred to me, or, really it was many things at once. I looked up to the top of the battlements, where the king of Cornwall remained flanked by his two loyal knights. I breathed deeply.

'Q-Q-Queen Melody!' I cried at the top of my voice. All around curious faces swivelled in my direction. 'Q-Queen Melody, is it t-t-true?'

The babble of the soldiers, who had been discussing whether it was worth placing bets on the outcome of the combat between the Sessite general and the boy, died down.

'Is what true, Drift of the lake?' replied the queen.

'Is it t-t-true that you husband b-betrayed the people of his southern c-c-coast to the Sessites, as A-Alisander accuses him?'

The queen blinked. 'Aye, it is true, alas.'

'And is it t-t-true that he b-bargained with the raiders; that he b-bought their meat and c-c-corn in return for his own s-safety?'

'Aye, alas, it is true.'

There were gasps from the battlements. Some of the archers ranged along the wall turned to observe their king's reaction. Mark simply stared down at me, his expression unreadable.

'Enough of this! Enough!' cried Merlin by my side.

'Then it is t-true that k-k-king Mark, who so p-prides himself on oaths and v-v-vows, is himself an oathbreaker? That he b-broke his m-most sacred oath to his p-p-people?' I shouted over the sorcerer.

Melody did not reply this time. She bowed her head. But the effect on the wall was the one I had hoped for. Sir Bersulus turned to his king, a look of horror on his face.

'I said enough!' shouted Merlin, and at once I felt myself paralyzed. I breathed, but I was unable to speak or otherwise move. I struggled against the wizard's magical grasp, but could not free myself.