Chapter Thirty-Six: King Arthur's Offer

Queen Melody’s secret passageway wound around and down to the tower staircase through a confusing series of doors. As we emerged from a storage room filled with brooms and brushes we nearly collided with Mordred and the stunningly beautiful young woman he was leading by the hand. I had seen Iseult before in Mordred’s memory, but she was even lovelier in person. Her long, wavy black hair, pure white skin and naturally red lips were all as they had been – the years of her imprisonment had, perversely, improved her looks. No wonder the Gauls called her La Belle Iseult, I thought. She was breathtaking.

Queen Melody grasped Iseult’s free hand. ‘My dear girl,’ she said gently.

Iseult gave a small curtsy. ‘My queen,’ she said in a small, timid voice. I felt immediate sympathy with her: I knew what it was like to spend years almost alone, and then be suddenly confronted with many strangers.

‘We saw the riders,’ said Mordred. ‘They’ve come to treat with King Mark?’

‘Nah, lad,’ said Piers. ‘With Palomides and Agravaine and God-damned Bellina Saunce Pité.’

‘You what?’

‘Don’t ask me,’ said Piers.

Farmer,’ snapped Queen Melody.

Piers turned to face her.

‘To the cellars immediately,’ said the queen. ‘Prepare your escape.’

Piers nodded, and bundled himself down the stairs.

Iseult stared at the hand of Mordred’s that held hers. She was in a dream, and not, by the looks of it, a wholly pleasant one. ‘What is happening, Mordred?’ she said. ‘Where is Siobahn?’ She spoke of her lover, Siobahn of Braghán.

‘Follow Piers,’ Mordred told his sister. ‘He will get you back to Erin, back to mother and father and Siobahn.’

‘I don’t want to leave you, brother.’

Mordred turned to Melwas behind him. ‘Please, my love,’ he said. ‘You know I have to stay, but please take my sister home.’

Melwas shook her head, resolve on her face. ‘No, Mordred. I will die by your side if I have to.’

‘Melwas, please.’ Even though they were not related by blood, Mordred’s face resembled that of his foster-father after he had been maddened into king Anguish. ‘You know what I am. You most of all. I’m a cursed creature, my love; I’m not worthy of you. I’ll only lead you to your death.’

I felt a terrible emptiness in myself. Now I understood that he had not been in denial about Neave’s words on Orkney. He had been trying to protect those of us who knew from the depths of his feelings. How right Queen Morgawse had been to keep from him from the terrible knowledge about himself.

Tears brimmed in Melwas’ eyes. Her head shook.

‘Take Iseult, please.’

Finally Melwas stepped forward. She took Mordred’s head in her hand and pulled his face to hers.

‘Sod this,’ said Agravaine, though whether that was in response to the situation we found ourselves in, or the kiss between Melwas and Mordred I am not sure. The son of Orkney pounded down the stairs.

‘Stop, Prince Agravaine,’ called the queen. She pointed through a doorway onto the lowest balcony of the tower, where Bellina stood under the blue sky with her back to us, listening to the words from below.

Mordred pushed Melwas away from him, and gave her Iseult’s hand. ‘Go,’ he said.

Melwas hardened her expression, and hauled the resisting Iseult after her.