Chapter Thirty-Two: The Mines (part one)

Once the plan was agreed upon the king of Orkney dismissed the meeting, though he ordered me to remain behind. As they left I heard Alisander introducing Sir Bagdamegus to Aglinda. ‘He first taught me to swordfight,’ the boy told his friend as they walked out of the door. ‘And he knew my mummy and liked her too.’

‘Aye, that I did,’ said the old knight. ‘A good woman, she was.’ Then they left the room and I heard no more.

Although there had been more than hundred people in the room, now only the king, Agravaine and myself were left around the table I saw how small the space was.

‘You spoke to my sons?’ said lot, when the door was firmly closed behind the last member of the council.

I relaxed my speech spell. Now that I didn’t have to speak clearly in front of all those people I could be myself. ‘I-I-I-I-I did.’

‘And they know of Ma?’ said Agravaine, his eyes burning.

‘They d-d-d-d-didn’t. I-I t-told them of it.’ I took a deep breath. ‘When I-I-I left they w-w-were negotiating with Sir B-B-Breuse. They w-w-w-wanted to...’ I flinched; back on Orkney I had promised king lot that I wouldn’t tell Agravaine that Sir lamorak was living, but now I was dangerously close to letting the truth slip out.

‘Go on, lord of the lake,’ said the king.

I sighed. ‘They w-w-w-wanted to l-l-leave the siege to h-h-hunt down Sir l-lamorak.’

Agravaine’s eyes moved between me and his father. He drummed his thick fingers on the table. I expected an outburst of anger from him at any moment. But it didn’t come.

‘Y-Y-Y-Your majesty, I-I looked into G-G-G-Gawain’s mind; he still hopes t-t-to mend the m-m-misunderstanding between you.’

Now Agravaine slammed his fist down on the table.

‘Peace, son,’ said his father. ‘You have confirmation that my queen’s murderer lives, son of the Lake?’

I nodded.

Where?’ bellowed Agravaine. ‘Where is he, you watery bastard?’ The huge blond lad was met with a withering look from his father, and a calm one from me. ‘I’m sorry Drift, I’m sorry. It’s just...’

‘That’s alright. I-I-I know. W-W-W-Well, I d-d-don’t – but...’

‘Stop, boys,’ said lot. ‘just stop.’ He placed his hand on his son’s. ‘Agravaine, my boy, I know you want to hunt down lamorak straight away. But you have to know that the safety of Orkney comes before revenge.’

Agravaine tore his hand away. ‘I dinnea care, Da!  want Lamorak dead.’

‘And I want your mother safe and well on Orkney, lad,’ said king lot gently. ‘But that isnea going to happen. There’ll be time enough for lamorak once Cornwall and Orkney are safe. Do you understand, boy?’ Agravaine did not respond. ‘Do you understand your king?

The son did not look his father in the eye. ‘Aye, Da.’

‘Good,’ said lot. ‘And so you will accompany the other May-children into Tintagel as we planned. Understood?’

‘Aye, Da.’

‘Thank you, lord of the lake. I pray that this tragedy will bring my sons back to me.’

‘S-S-S-So do I-I-I, your g-grace.’ I stood to go, thinking I had been dismissed, but lot raised an eyebrow and I stood there, fearing I had offended him.

‘One more thing, Drift,’ said the king. ‘The boy of Erin. Has he disobeyed my order to leave? Is he in the fleet?’

A chill went through my body. king lot’s eyes were no longer gentle; they were a true leader’s eyes, hard and probing.

‘N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-No,’ I said, fearing that my nervousness betrayed the lie.

‘Good,’ said the king. And then he let me leave.