Chapter Thirty-Four: The Madness of King Mark

‘It does not behoove a queen to apologise for her king,’ said Queen Melody as she led us down the stairs after her husband, ‘but I am sure you are aware that Mark is a most proud man, who feels all insults keenly. It makes him great, but also unbending.’ She was very nimble on her feet for woman of her age, and we had already reached the landing that led to her chamber. ‘Back to your duties, Petal,’ she said, motioning the servant away. Melody hadn’t shown any sign that she had noticed Petal until then, nor expressed curiosity as to how the girl had returned to her. ‘Tell the stupid girl currently occupying your place to go back to... well, wherever it is she came from.’

‘Yes, m’ lady,’ said Petal, and dashed away.

‘Interesting servants are so hard to find, don’t you agree Damosel Saunce Pité? It is still Saunce Pité, yes?’

‘Yes, Queen Melody, I agree. And my name is the same.’

The queen tutted, stopped us, and looked Bellina up and down. ‘You look surprisingly well in those breeches, certainly much better than I believed to you to be, crushed to a bloody pulp below the weight of Spar-Longius’ red rocks. But you must marry quickly, before your face wrinkles and your thighs fatten.’ The queen turned sharply and continued down the stairs. ‘You should marry her, Prince Agravaine. A king’s second son needs a wife with money behind her. We know Sir Breuse is very rich, and hear his wealth is only likely to increase.’

‘Er –’ said Agravaine.

‘Tush, boy, tush,’ said the queen, dismissing the objections Agravaine hadn’t had time to voice.

She led us to a pair of huge tin-plated doors, guarded by two thin soldiers. ‘When did you last eat, you two?’ she asked them.

‘Our last ration was yesterday morning, your highness,’ said the first man.

The queen tapped her foot on the floor. She nodded. ‘You’re doing well. The king thanks you for your service.’

Both soldiers nodded their thanks.

‘Amant, back to... whatever it is you do, boy.’

‘Yes, your majesty,’ said the red-haired knight. He bowed to her, his eyes fixed on Bellina, and marched away.

‘Now: you three. The king is behind these doors. You, Prince Agravaine, you’re to do the talking. Speak not of gifts, support, aid, or help. Those words will prick my husband’s pride. Speak of war, alliances and treaties. My husband is convinced he can defeat this siege with the seven hundred men now starving in Tintagel. It is your task to show him that things will be more pleasant with new allies.’ Her eyes turned to me. ‘This water you offer is yours, Lord of the Lake?’

‘Y-Y-Y-Y-Yes, m-madam.’

She shuddered. ‘Do not tell King Mark that. Say you’ve flooded Queen Melody’s Wit with fresh water or somesuch.’ Her eyebrow arched knowingly. ‘That girl is wicked, but I do enjoy her.’ Melody clasped Bellina’s hand, and led her off. ‘Now, my dear, let us leave these men to their business, and talk of more important matters. Tell me how your wedding to Prince Agravaine shall be.’

The wise old woman left Agravaine, Mordred and me breathless, though we’d said hardly a word between us.

‘She’s got your whole life planned, mate,’ said Mordred.

‘Aye,’ said Agravaine, shaking his head. ‘Aye... Anyway.’ He nodded at the guards. The metal doors opened.

* * *

Our second audience with King Mark began much more pleasantly than the first. In fact, the man pretended to have no recollection of our first meeting on the tower balcony. We entered his audience chamber, which was completely covered in metals of various kinds – not just tin, but gold, silver and bronze too – many of the pieces encrusted in sparkling jewels. We knelt before him again, and this time Agravaine spoke for us from the first, avoiding all the words and notions Queen Melody had warned him against. This pleased Mark, who invited us to sit with him on cushioned chairs. He called for wine, which was brought to us in shining cups by Hebes.