Chapter 16

Ben’s POV

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK! What am I supposed to do!? My fucking father is here! I thought I could’ve had at least a week! I was counting on that week to make the most time with Mase! But I can’t anymore! Because my fucking father is here!!

“Ben?” A soft voice called. I turned and saw Mase looking at me. Judging by his face, I’m guessing he’s figured out my secret.

“Listen. Mase. I can explain.” I said but Mase let go of my hand. He was in utter disbelief. 

“Why didn’t you tell me! Why would you keep this from me?!” He said out loud. His voice was cracked. Everyone was now looking at me. Carol, Dylan, Carl, and everyone else had a look of shock. 

I can’t hide anymore. “Because everyone always treated me like royalty. I just needed to be somewhere where people didn’t know who I was.” I said. 

“So this is your duty?” He asked. I nodded in humiliation. Truth is, I never knew if I wanted Mase to know about my status. I wanted to tell him so badly before I left but also I should’ve just left and he maybe would’ve found out on his own.

“BENJAMIN!” Father yelled. He walked up to our table. I stood up and bowed to him. Everyone followed what I did and bowed too. I shook the entire time. No one can miss the furious glow in his eyes. Father’s blue eyes might as well have been red. 

“King Benjamin.” I said. Father always told me to refer to him as King and never as father or dad. 

Instead of saying anything, father grabbed me by the arm and began dragging me away. “Get your ass in the car now!” He sternly said. I turned to Mase. He was following me for a bit before he stopped. 

“Wait!” I yelled. Father didn’t let go and continued walking. I tried to pry his fingers off but he’s stronger than me. And that’s saying something. The man who grew up carrying boulders on his back to build homes for orphans.

“Not now, Benjamin! The whole world has been looking for you!” He dragged me until we reached the car. 

“Father!” I yelled, finally calling him that. “Please! Just give me a damn minute! Then you can take me forever!” I pleaded. I’m guessing he saw how desperate I was. So he let me go.

I immediately ran to Mase. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. I swear! That’s the only thing I lied about! But everything else, me loving you and wishing to stay, it’s all true Mase!” I sobbed a bit. Mase let some of his tears out. 

“I don’t want you to leave, Ben. But you have to.” He tearfully grabbed my hands. I bet the press is loving this. Royal monarch falls for a small-town American boy. 

“The past few weeks have been the best, Mase. And I couldn’t thank you enough for giving me so much.”

“Will I ever see you again?” Mase asked. I kissed his hands and cried. I let the tears out. I couldn’t be strong enough to hold them.

“I don’t know. And that scares me.”

“BENJAMIN!” Father yelled. I turned and saw him giving me a nasty look.

“What do I do about your stuff?” He asked.

“Well, the guards might come pick them up. But if not, keep them. Something to remember me by.” I said.

Mase lunged forward and caged his arms around my body. I hugged him back and we both stayed like that and wished we could stay like that. I felt Mase’s tears hit the back of my shirt. 

Carol and the others watched close. This has to be a shock for them all. They hung out with a prince for weeks and never noticed anything. 

“I have to go, Mason.” I said. We pulled apart. I put my hands on his head and adjusted the flower crown.

“I love you, Ben. You changed my life for the better.” He said. 

“I love you too, Mason Howard. I won’t forget you.” He kissed me deeply. Something about a final kiss just tops every other kiss.

“Goodbye, Ben.” He said tearfully.

“Goodbye, Mason.” I stared into his amber eyes before I turned and walked shamefully to the limo. Father grunted and got in the car. I turned to Mase and gave one final wave before entering the car and driving off.

“50 countries, young man.” Father spoke. “That’s how many places we looked at to find you.” I didn’t say anything. I just cried and already missed Mase’s soft hands.

“You’re mother cried everyday. Katherine was obviously upset. The kingdom was worried for you. And here you were, sticking your tongue down some American’s throat.” Father spoke with disgust. 

“He isn’t just some American.” I softly said. 

“Who cares?!” He yelled. I jolted in my seat and scooted a bit away from him. “We’re going straight home and getting everything ready for your coronation!”

I should be upset at becoming king, but I’ve had my fun now. Unfortunately, that fun had a consequence, falling in love. 

“How did you find me?” I asked. 

Father pulled out his phone and showed me a screenshot. “Your American boyfriend posted this.” He said. There I saw the picture Mase took of me off guard. He was smiling into the camera while I had a weird expression. 

God, I already miss his smile. We look so happy and now it’s gone to shit.

“I understand you like him-” Father said but I cut him off.

“I love him!” I snapped.

“I understand you love him, but you can’t marry someone who isn't of royal blood. You know the rules.” Father said.

“Those rules were written centuries ago! Why are we still following them!” I snapped again. Sadly, I have to oblige them. 

“After your coronation, we have some suitors lined up for you. We’ve got some ladies from Prussia, England, and one from Japan. We have a lot to do, I expect you to act like a king after having your fun.” Father spoke.

“I don’t want another suitor!”

“You have no choice! You lost that choice when you forced the pilot to fly you here, stole money from the reserve, and came to the US of all places!” Father’s vein on his forehead looked like it was soon to pop. 

So I did something that I knew always calmed my dad, I shut up and said ‘Yes, your majesty.’. 

The town went past me. This is a goodbye to Verona and Mase.

------

bye! i love you all!

<3