Chapter 1

Ben’s POV

“Just fly the damn plane!” I yelled at the pilot, an old man who’s been with our family for decades. Too many decades.

“Your Majesty,” He pleaded. “What about your parents?” He asked. Ugh! Not this! Who cares what my father thinks! He is the reason why I’m doing this in the first place!

“As prince of Artois, I order you to drive this plane out of here! That’s an order!” I demanded. I hate using my status to get what I want. But in this case, it’s a matter of freedom.

“Very well, your Majesty.” The pilot said. He started up my dad’s private jet and drove onto the tarmac. 

Here goes nothing. 

I am Prince Benjamin of the Kingdom of Artois. Artois is a small kingdom, one of the only few monarchies left in the world. We’re located north of France and near Belgium. We separated from France centuries ago after some sort of war.

I’m next in line for the throne when I turn 19 (not sure why 19, at least chose an even number!). That’s in a few weeks. All my life, I’ve been cooped up in a castle where I’m given everything I want. I’m told what to do, what to say, what to eat. I have no chance of freedom. Except now.

I called the pilot to set the plane and kinda forced him to fly away from here.

My phone began ringing. It was my sister, Katherine. She knows about my escape plan. Helped me plan everything.

“Hey sis!” I said into the phone.

“Are you in the air?” She asked, making sure to hush her voice.

“Yep!” I said.

“Did you take the credit card we planned?” She asked. Over the course of a few weeks, I slowly deposited money and put it into another secret account. I was able to transfer thousands. Hopefully enough for a few weeks of freedom before I return home.

“Yes. I have it. Remember your plan. Distract dad for the first few days. Tell him I ran off to Paris or Copenhagen.” I said. 

“Mmhmm. You got it! Stay safe, big bro. Call me when you land at… wherever you land.” She said.

“You got it. Bye gremlin.” I said. We hung up when I realized I had no idea where I wanted to go.

“Your Majesty, where do you wish to land?” He asked. 

“MmmmmmmmmMinesotta!” I said, thinking of the first state in my head. 

“You sure you don't want to go to California or New York or Las Vegas?” He asked. 

“I’m sure! I need a place not too obvious in the middle of nowhere.” I said.

“I’ll choose a random town, if that’s okay.” He began to type some coordinates. I sat in my seat and slept through the ride. 

I was awoken by the pilot shaking me awake.

“Your Majesty, we’ve arrived.” He said. 

“Mmm where?” I groggily responded.

“Verona. No one will know you’re here.” He said. I got up and got my luggage. I exited the plane. It was dark outside. 

“Here you go. Don’t say anything to my father.” I gave him a wad of money.

“I’ll try not to.” He said. “Stay safe, Prince Benjamin. We’ll see you soon.” He hopped into the plane while I ran off into the distance. I watched as the plane flew away.

I looked at my surroundings and saw he landed in an empty field. I had no idea where to go. In the distance, I saw the glow of probably a diner. I walked my way there but realized I needed a disguise. 

I opened my suitcase and pulled out some shades, a black coat, and a Yankee cap. Very American.

I walked into the diner and saw a waitress. 

“Do you know where Verona is?” I asked her. 

“Just a few minutes north. Sun should be coming up soon. I recommend you stay here for a while. Doesn’t look like you gots a car.” The woman said. I decided to stay and eat a bit.

Now all I have to do is wait for freedom to begin.

------

new story!

bye! i love you all!

<3