Chapter 15

Mason’s POV

“LET’S GO, LOVEBIRDS!” Carol yelled at Ben and I. I blushed since she said that out loud and everyone obviously heard. Ben and I sat under a tree for shade as everyone else tossed a frisbee or took aesthetic photos for their Instagram. 

“I made this for you.” Ben said to me. I turned to him and he held a hand-made flower crown. Yello, white, pink, and lavender flowers tied in a band. He slowly placed it on my head. “There, you’re my king now.” He said.

“It’s lovely, Ben.” I said. I need to ask him to teach me how to make one. 

“We never made it official, but you do maybe…” He said and hesitated. 

“Want me to be your boyfriend?” A gleeful smile spread on my face. Ben blushed, something he seems to only do to me. Everyone else sees Ben as a tall, strong, intimidating guy. But around me he becomes more emotional and vulnerable.

“Would you?” He asked. I immediately grabbed his hands and held them tight.

“Yes! Yes I would!” I eagerly said. Ben hugged me and didn’t let go. I can’t believe this! My first boyfriend! And it’s with the guy who was also my first kiss. He’s my favorite person, honestly. I can’t imagine a better person. Sure he has secrets that may be a walking red flag. But it’s Ben. I’m willing to let my guard down for him.

We began to walk down the hill to meet up with everyone else. I proudly showed off my flower crown.

“Guys! We’re going to get boba! Let’s go!” Carol yelled. I began to get excited. Flower crown! Boyfriend! And boba! Can life get any better? 

A helicopter flew by us. A little too close to the ground. Ben quickly ducked his head and hid behind me. He made sure to cover his head. That’s something I’ll have to ask him later. What’s the reason for him to be hiding? 

“So, boba?” Ben asked once the helicopter was far enough. We walked to the town center and came up to the boba shop. 

“Ever had boba?” I asked him. He looked at the menu, wondering about everything.

“No. What is it?” He asked.

“Tapioca balls. They’re chewy and kinda sweet. You’ll have to try it cause I can’t explain it.” I said. I ordered for us and Ben insisted he pay. Him having money is a bonus!

Everyone sat outside the shop and chatted in nothingness. Ben and I sat close together although no one seemed to care.

“Mason. What’s the deal with you and Ben today?” Carol asked. Everyone seemed to turn to us and became silent. I sat there and Carol whispered sorry because she didn’t mean to drag the attention to us. 

“Oh, I uh…” I said until Ben put his arm around me and pulled us close.

“Guys. Mase and I are dating.” He said. He smiled while Carol let out a ‘FINALLY’. 

“Awesome!” Dylan yelled. 

“I told you, Sandra! They’re so into each other!” Jessie said. 

While Ben was distracted, I took out my phone and snapped a quick picture. After the flash is when he looked down. I showed him the picture which had him off guard and me smiling. 

“I’ll let you keep that for now. Only because everything is perfect right now.” He said. I posted the picture on Instagram. The first thing I’ve ever posted. 

An impending question popped up in my head. It’s gonna hurt me so much when I ask Ben.

“Ben?” I said. He could tell by my demeanor that it’s something serious. So he put his drink down and gave me his full attention.

“Yeah, Mase?” He said.

“When are you leaving?” I asked. His face became a bit sadder.

“In three weeks.” He said. That’s all I have left. Three weeks to be with him. And he’ll go back to his normal rich life while I stay here and try to heal from losing him. But I’m being selfish. I’m completely forgetting that Ben will also have to suffer from our distance.

“Do you have to go?” I asked, hoping maybe he could stay longer.

“Sadly. I have duties back home. Important ones. I can’t just stay here, Mase. I’m sorry.” I said. He put his hand on mine and rubbed my fingers.

“Are we done after you leave?” I asked. 

“I don’t know. I don’t want to end this.” 

“I just- You’re the first person I’ve ever liked, Ben. I don’t want to lose you.” I said. Just as Ben was about to speak. The sound of cars and helicopters surrounded us.

We all turned our heads and saw a tall man walk out of a rather expensive car. Ben’s face dropped and became pale as a ghost.

“Fuck!” He muttered. The man’s eyes were on Ben. They were filled with anger.

Using past memories, I remembered about where I’ve seen this man before. I know because our history teacher had a huge poster of him in class that I sat next to. She would always say that he was his crush and wanted to marry him.

It’s King Benjamin VII of Artois!

Hold up! Why does he kinda look like Ben?

I turned to Ben. I’m guessing he’s starting to see that I’m beginning to connect the dots. 

Another man hopped out of the car and followed Ben. Then a whole guard walked around King Benjamin. News reporters were out. People had guns and fucking swords ready!

“PRINCE BENJAMIN!” The King yelled.

So Ben’s full name is Benjamin.

And he looks like the king.

And the French accent.

His money.

His “duties” he has.

Why couldn’t I see it earlier!?

He’s a fucking prince.

Prince Benjamin!

------

he knows now!!

bye! i love you all!

<3