twenty-three. Finn

ANTE BELLUM: XXIIIDEATH MEETS LIFE

ANTE BELLUM: XXIII –DEATH MEETS LIFE

RAMSEY BIANCHI

THE ANXIETY WAS KILLING ME. I hid inside a janitor's closet with Gwen, we were both having difficulties breathing- fearing if we breathe too loud the Lizard would hear us. I gripped the fire extinguisher in my hands, exhaling slowly through my mouth before inhaling, I repeated this until I felt my heart rhythm slow down, and I was feeling less anxious. But it all went through the window once we heard three loud bangs coming from the other side of the rolling security doors. Gwen and I flinched from the harsh blows, I let go of the extinguisher and search for her hand, we both grasped each other's hands tightly and waited for the worst.

Eventually, the security doors gave in, we heard it crash down against the ceramic floor. Gwen was shaking beside me, since my nerves were all over the place I felt her emotions as my own, I felt her fear, anxiety, worry, distress, and hope. I didn't dare ease her apprehension, since I could barely control my own. We hid there, listening to Gwen's mentor every step, which wasn't that difficult to locate. Our grip tighten- if that was even possible- as the footsteps neared our hiding spot, I closed my eyes and unknowingly held my breath, I was scared that my breathing was too loud due to the anxiety cooking in my chest.

Then everything stopped.

I kept my eyes close, afraid if I opened my eyes to find it staring directly at me through the door shutters, so I squeezed them tight. A long period of silence passed, so I opened my eyes and just what I feared the most- followed. A giant claw dug through the door's shutter and ripped the piece of wood from its hinges, frightened screams erupted from Gwen and my throat as we stared at the roaring lizard. While screaming, I reach out with both hands at the extinguisher and aim at him, a cloud of white powder hit the lizard straight in the face. Gwen used a makeshift flamethrower using a lighter and aerosol, which was kind of stupid since I was using an extinguisher, which canceled Gwen's fire.

"Dios!" I screamed, my Spanish roots taking effect. God!

The Lizard raised its menacing claw and I expected a hard blow, but instead of hitting me, he directed his hand towards a device stored in the closet with us. My scream slowly died once the Lizard took the device and left us, both Gwen and I stopped attacking with our horrible choice of weapon- well, probably my horrible choice of weapon. It's as if the movies taught me nothing.

"Is he gone, gone?" Gwen whispered to me, we both shared a fleeting glance before I slowly peek over where the door used to be and noticed we were alone. "Ramsey?"

I glanced at her and nodded. "Clear. Come on."

As we stepped out from our hiding spot, Gwen glanced around the place cautiously but didn't have time to dwell on it due to the serum being ready. "Antidote complete."