Chapter 3 - Summers End

We made our way down the path to his red truck I climbed in, he started it up.

We started to climb the big hill in town with the music playing 'Just the Way you Are' the further we got up the more of the ocean we could see.

We turned into a dirt road that you would only see if you knew it was there. He found a spot underneath a tree to park under.

Matt went to the back of the car and handed me a basket and he grabbed the rug and the cooler.

“So were going on a picnic?” I guessed.

“Yes, it’s my favourite spot here only I know about it, so don't go telling everyone about it,” he said with a big smile across his face.

I followed him down a dirt path we walked for about 5 minutes downhill.

We appeared from the bush into a nice green meadow backing onto the beach it was beautiful.

The field was a dark green with flowers through it and the beach was a crystal blue with no waves so it was more like a bay. We decided to get a spot underneath a big shady tree.

“This is beautiful,” I said amazed

“Knew you would like” he said with his smile that I have come to love.

We rolled the rug out I put down the basket and pulled out a bottle of water.

“So how did you find this place,” I asked

“Well I was about 10 and I went for a walk I was going to the real lookout a bit further up the street but I saw a little path so I followed it and it lead me here; no one knows about it so don’t go around telling everyone about it ok.” He said looking into my eyes.

“I won’t tell anyone about this place promise,” I answered.

“Okay I want to learn some things about you,” I told him.

“Ok, shoot.” He replied.

“Family?” I asked

“There’s my younger sister she’s 15 then there’s my mom and dad.” He answered. “You?”

“My big brother he’s a senior in college this year then there’s my parents.”

“How long have you lived here?” I asked.

“All my life” he answered back.

“When was your first kiss?” I questioned.

He went bright red then said “Last year,” he looked so embarrassed “and it was only a peck so I’ve never really kissed anyone. When was yours?”

“In seventh grade, it was to the school player he got dared to.”

“Want to build a sandcastle,” I asked.

“Sure”

We raced over to the sand and started to build the biggest sandcastle ever we had towers a motor, tunnels the whole lot I felt like I was a little kid again we joked around throw sand at each other.

After we were finished we stepped back to take a closer look.

Then out of nowhere the whole back of me got drenched I turned to see Matt standing there with the cheekiest smile on his face.

I ran into the water and started to splash water all over each other.

By the time we were finished we were drenched from head to toe we got really hungry so we sat under the tree eating strawberries, sandwiches and drinking water.